Since installing 10.4.5 Safari/firefox unbearable

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all

Since 10.4.5 my internet has been painfully slow with refreshing taking for ever

and sometimes not happening at all. iTunes music store freezes regular on me as well. I'have an Airport Express connection but that appears to be fine and streaming music not a problem. I want to go back to 10.4.4 but I down loaded this from the apple site but will not let me install over 10.4.5

Anyone else having these problems any any solutions?

I have a G5 2ghz Power Mac

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Similar problem. Page refreshing takes forever....sometime connection doesn't take, have to try to reconnect frequently. Any suggestions anyone?

i
  • Reply 2 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimbo123

[B] refreshing taking for ever

What does Safari say in the bottom left border of the window when you get these pauses?

If it says "Contacting www.domain.com", then you need to change your DNS to a different DNS server (yes I know "DNS Server" is redundant).

If it says "completed xx out of xxx items", that is usually the web site's fault, although I have seen that be a DNS issue as well.

Open Network Preferences, and enter 4.2.2.4 as the DNS server and click Apply Now.

If you have a router, put 4.2.2.4 in its "Use these DNS servers" field also.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Virtual Warrior

Similar problem. Page refreshing takes forever....sometime connection doesn't take, have to try to reconnect frequently. Any suggestions anyone?

i

Hi

I unplugged my AE over night (noticed it was pretty hot) Plugged back in this morning and so far massive difference in speed.

• Reply 4 of 4
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    For anyone still having problems, go to the network pane of system preferences and try switching IPv6 to "off" for all your network interfaces.