Intel to cut Core Duo pricing ahead of 2.33GHz model

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Intel is expected to cut the prices on the Core Duo mobile microprocessors used in Apple Computer's latest Macintosh systems by the end of May.

According to a report in the Tuesday edition of the Chinese-language Commercial Times, the world's largest chip makers plans to reduce the costs of 65-nanometer dual-core chips by as much as 33 percent.

The price of the 2.16GHz Core Duo will reportedly drop from $632 to $423, a reduction of about 33 percent. Meanwhile, the 2.0GHz model will drop in cost from $423 to $294 (30.5 percent), and the 1.83GHz model from $294 to $241 (18 percent).

The price cuts may make way for Intel's 2.33GHz Core Duo processor, dubbed the T2700, to take over the $632 price-point. The chip is expected to debut in the third calendar quarter of the year, about a month or so following the price cuts to the existing Core Duo chips.

The 2.33GHz Core Duo is also believed to be a possible candidate to ship inside Apple's yet-to-be-announced flagship 17-inch MacBook Pro. Sources have said the high-end professional notebook will run at speeds of at least 2.16GHz Core Duo.

Depending on when Apple plans to push the 17-inch MacBook Pro to market, and Intel's availability of the T2700 at that time, the notebook may be one of the first on the market to sport the 2.33GHz chip.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    price cits rock!
  • Reply 2 of 51
    Heheheh now THIS is why Apple went Intel baby.

They'll milk the extra profits for a bit and then deliver a new model.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    I would expect the 2.33GHz Core Duo to replace the current 2.16GHz build-to-order (BTO) option as soon as it becomes available in quantity. I think Apple understands that they have to keep competitive with Dell, and therefore won't delay faster processors, at least not by much (there might be a wait of a couple of weeks at most, until they are available in quantity etc, in some cases. In other cases, they may be announced even before they're available, like with the MacBook Pro now).
  • Reply 4 of 51
    When adding the 2.33 GHz CoreDuo will Apple discontinue the 1.83 GHz or continue to sell it at a discounted price therefore offering four models (1.83, 2.0, 2.16 & 2.33)? This will be interesting to see how this all works out. The absence of a 1.66 GHz makes me think they might discontinue the 1.83 GHz model.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Will Apple lower prices or keep the processor spec's up?

That will be interesting to see...
  • Reply 6 of 51
    History says Apple will upgrade the processor instead of lowering prices. Sure they could pass on $200 and ship "last years processor", but us pro's want to have the latest toys, so they won't do that. Maybe on the iBook they will.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    this is also good as it makes the 1.66 ghz core duo could make its way into the Macbook
  • Reply 8 of 51
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    The 1.83 is now only $50 cheaper than the 2.0. I suspect the 1.83 will now only be used to create artificial differentiations in the products.

Of course, it would be nice if Apple just had a single product with a few pre-sets and pull-down menus for screen size, processor, etc.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Heheheh now THIS is why Apple went Intel baby.

They'll milk the extra profits for a bit and then deliver a new model.

But even these chips cost more than the dual G5 chip, and far more than the 7447, even with the new pricing.

Still, this could be why Apple moved the speeds up one level.

I now hope to see the iMacs given the same treatment.

Each time this happens, Rosetta will work a little bit better.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "Third calendar quarter" means July 1 at the EARLIEST, right?

I'd be amazed if a 17" (or larger?) MacBook waited that long.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Am I being unreasonable to expect a 3gh Macbook by July?
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

"Third calendar quarter" means July 1 at the EARLIEST, right?

I'd be amazed if a 17" (or larger?) MacBook waited that long.

Yes. I agree on both points.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Am I being unreasonable to expect a 3gh Macbook by July?

If by 3gh, you mean 3GHz, yes, you are being unreasonable. The Yonah will stop at 2.33GHz, but it's just barely possible (though doubtful) it could get to 2.5GHz.

Merom is scheduled to start with speeds up to about 2.5GHz, possibly as low as 2.33GHz, and possibly as high as 2.66GHz.

Intel's schedule is well known. Unlike IBM's. Read any of the roadmaps on some of the other sites. While the exact month these cpu's come out isn't always known until they get close, the speeds usually are offered fairly early. By 6 months before they are available, Intel releases the date. It may vary a bit from that in the beginning, due to typical production uncertainties, but they are close.

The Prescott was the first time Intel (and all the others) got screwed.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

If by 3gh, you mean 3GHz, yes, you are being unreasonable. The Yonah will stop at 2.33GHz, but it's just barely possible (though doubtful) it could get to 2.5GHz.

Merom is scheduled to start with speeds up to about 2.5GHz, possibly as low as 2.33GHz, and possibly as high as 2.66GHz.

Intel's schedule is well known. Unlike IBM's. Read any of the roadmaps on some of the other sites. While the exact month these cpu's come out isn't always known until they get close, the speeds usually are offered fairly early. By 6 months before they are available, Intel releases the date. It may vary a bit from that in the beginning, due to typical production uncertainties, but they are close.

The Prescott was the first time Intel (and all the others) got screwed.

Only kidding. The speed bumps are nice to see however. Especially since the ppc macs really stagnated last year.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    I think everybody forgets that all this "exciting" news is at least 3 months off.

Practically 4-5 months.

That actually means a rather "normal" upgrade cycle for a product like an iMac.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    If the reports of swapping CPUs in the iMac are true, I look forward to being able to drop a 2.5GHz or faster CPU in my iMac a year or so from now.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    More fuel for the "duos in ibooks" fire.

I think it's going to happen.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

I agree that this makes it more likely. Perhaps that's why Apple waited on the iBook.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    What a difference from the Motorola days, where the clockspeed would go DOWN before you got your product!

But don't just put the 2.33GHz in the 17". The 17" is the size of an aircraft carrier.

Make it an option for the 15" too.

(And put the 2.0GHz in the 12"/13", which is the only one I'll buy.)
  • Reply 20 of 51
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

I hope so too.

I won't buy any machine that isn't a dual and I'd like a new laptop to replace my uber-long-in-the-tooth rev a Ti PowerBook. I'd like some good power if I'm paying MacBook Pro prices, but if I go the iBook route I'd be willing to settle for a less powerful machine.