The Beatles on iTunes???

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
"he story deals with The Beatles' music company known as Apple Corps, Ltd., and the well-known lawsuit between the Beatles and Apple Computer that resulted in a US$26 million payment to The Beatles and a promise not go into the music business."

Well Apple did go into the music business, but will the Beatles ever come on. I say its a big "maybe." Some may think never, but here is my proof. It seems as though they are trying to get away from the "Apple" name, instead using "Mac." So if there was a change to Mac iTunes I think that could pave a way to the Beatles joing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Didn't Wacko Jacko purchase the entire Beatles library at one point? I dont remember if he had to sell it to pay court fees or not... but if he still owns the library what say would he have in it appearing in iTunes??
  • Reply 2 of 4
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

Didn't Wacko Jacko purchase the entire Beatles library at one point? I dont remember if he had to sell it to pay court fees or not... but if he still owns the library what say would he have in it appearing in iTunes??

Dunno...

Music 'ownership' can take on quite a few different things...

One person/company can own...

1. The lyrics & sheet music

2. The actual recordings

3. I'm sure a bunch of other stuff...

Anyway... This might help:

Quote:

What Michael Jackson bought for $47.5 million in 1985 was the publishing rights to 159 or 251 Beatles songs, depending on who's counting. To maybe oversimplify a complicated business, publishing rights are basically the sheet music rights. When Paul McCartney wanted to print the lyrics to "Eleanor Rigby" and other Beatles classics in the program for his 1989 world tour, he discovered he'd have to pay a fee to Michael Jackson. The owner of the publishing rights (hereinafter the publisher) also gets a royalty when someone plays a Beatles song on a jukebox or the radio or does a cover version of a Fab Four tune. Particularly in the case of elevator music, to which, let's be frank, a lot of Beatles tunes are well suited, this can earn the publisher some serious cash. But there are a couple things the publisher can't do. The first is to mess with, or license the use of, Beatles recordings. Michael Jackson agreed to license the words and music of "Revolution" to Nike for a 1987 shoe commercial, but he had to persuade Capitol Records, owner of the tune's North American recording rights, to allow use of the actual record. Most likely he'd have to do the same to overdub said record with his own voice, although he might get away with including a snippet in a musical collage, something even John Lennon did that has now become impossible to control.

Linky

So it seems like, no MJ can't make any iTunes deals...

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 4
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    eh... i've gotten tired of waiting. i mean, i don't think there is a single song penned by any of the beatles, individually or collectively/collaboratively, or even private unreleased or rare tracks that havent been pressed and sold on cd collections for ages now. so why not just buy the cd's off the shelf and rip them yourself? to my knowledge, none of them have any sort of DRM on the cd's,

sure, having the beatles in your collection is like one of those milestones everyone expects, but heck, the music is still available. just takes an extra step or two.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Precisely what I have done...