Fillable Fields on PDF forms

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Can someone refresh my memory on the filling of fields on Acrobat forms?

What I mean is, if I take a PDF that has no fields in it, and add those fields with the full version of Acrobat, then email the form to another individual to fill out and print,

- does that individual have to use the full Acrobat to save or print the filled-out form? In my own tests, when I create the fillable PDF in Acrobat and then open it in Adobe Reader, it will let you enter text into the fields but warns you that you cannot save the form.

- is it any different if the recipient has a PC? In other words does Adobe Reader on the PC allow filling out fields and saving?

- if they can't save, can they at least print the form after filling in the fields?

I appreciate any clarification on this. It just seems weird that one would need the full Acrobat just to USE the forms, not create the fields.

Thanks

JL

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I haven't made any, but I know that you can fill out pdf forms and print them out with preview or even using Safari's pdf function. For example, look at this page. Not all have that function, but check out the ones under "Choices Forms." I don't know how they were made though.