Just got my MBP 2.0 and...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just my MBP 2.0. The only BTO option I got was the 120 gig hard drive (which is a toshiba for those who are interested in that sort of thing).

I literaly just set this thing up, and have just tinkered around with Safari, iTunes, and Word.

My initial review on this thing is.....

It's freaking awesome! I've had several problems with powerbook G4s in the past, mostly cosmetic, or hardware problems such as loose lids, bad keyboards, dead pixels, and one even had a bad USB port. This Apple, fit and finish wise is perfect... I'm sooo happy. Some have complained about the pivot angle of the screen, I can say that it looks like it is a tiny bit shorter then that of the powerbook, I think it had to be because of the now larger space at the top of the screen (the aluminum part that has the built in i-sight).

I tested the screen with the cranky cat image to see if these new lcds are displaying the same banding and line problems that the last PBs were... good news, they are not. This screen is gorgeous.

Performance wise, the machine is definetly very fast at running the day to day tasks of Safari and iTunes (which is what I use most), I've yet to run anything more intensive; the MBP runs really quietly too... though again I'm not pushing it.

All in all.... I'm really, really happy. Thanks Apple!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    i'm jealous of course, but my intel iMac is pretty sweet too.

personally can't stand safari since it's RSS support is weird. I love Firefox with the Sage plug in. For a universal binary of Firefox (and other mozilla apps) still work in process (I've been running for weeks without bugs, btw) check these out:

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mac:Intel

have fun with that MacBook Pro!
  • Reply 2 of 23
    That awesome. I just ordered one today (2.0Ghz with everything standard, except for an upgrade on the hard drive to 7200 RPM), and with an expected delivery date of March 29, it looks like I've got a long, grueling waiting period ahead of me. It's great to hear that there aren't any major glitches too...
  • Reply 3 of 23
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by peter_l

It's great to hear that there aren't any major glitches too...

Yeah, so much about "bugs" in first generation machines. See also here (in French, perhaps later in english over at Hardmac).
  • Reply 4 of 23
    I've been using my new baby for like 24/7; I had to write a paper for a lit. course, so I was doing a lot of multi tasking using iTunes, Safari, and Word (again, I know these programs arent too intensive, but I had all of them running fairly constantly) and the 'puter ran like a champ... I didnt notice any slowdown at ALL, and I've only got a gig of ram. Anyhow, I havent experienced any bugs at all (knock on wood).

The only thing I have noticed, is that there is a slight humming noise from the computer on occasion (seemingly quiet random). I think I read in another thread that the humming was the second core or something... I dunno.

Update to the screen pivot angle... I put my new MBP side by side with my dads 12" PB... and the difference is actually pretty big, the 12" has a lot more room to move. I have yet to run into a situation where that is a concern though... so I'm still happy.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Ok.. well, the first (and hopefuly only) problem has appeared. Like many other MBP owners have stated on Apples own forums, there is a pretty significant high pitched whine that is constantly in the background if you arent taxing the system enough. Apparently the problem lies with the way the cpu works at idle. It's pretty bad; bad enough that I may be forced to return the laptop if there isnt a permanent fix available sometime soon.

Other then that, and sort of disapointing battery life... the laptop kicks butt!
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zubba

Ok.. well, the first (and hopefuly only) problem has appeared. Like many other MBP owners have stated on Apples own forums, there is a pretty significant high pitched whine that is constantly in the background if you arent taxing the system enough. Apparently the problem lies with the way the cpu works at idle. It's pretty bad; bad enough that I may be forced to return the laptop if there isnt a permanent fix available sometime soon.

Other then that, and sort of disapointing battery life... the laptop kicks butt!

Damn, that isn't good. What is the battery life, exactly?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

I'm about ready to order a MBP, but I got a little nervous when I noticed this on the Apple forums. I went and heard it in person at the local Apple Store. It's definitely real, though it sounds like it's a common engineering issue with CPU-throttling laptops. I don't think I'm going to let it delay my order. It was only audible closer than what I'd consider normal working distance, and there have been several suggestions posted about silencing it:

Running a low-CPU task (like PhotoBooth) in the background stops it, by keeping the CPU out of the lowest-power (noise-inducing) mode. I tried out PhotoBooth in the Apple Store and it worked as advertised, while only using 3% CPU according to top. Turning off the second CPU core with Apple's CHUD tools also stops it. If you turn on the dashboard widget Mirror (which also engages the iSight) for about a minute, and then turn it off, the noise stays gone until reboot. That sounds a little sketchy, like Mirror must leave a process running after exiting, but whatever works works.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    i love my laptop so far. its barely hot, really quiet, and fast as hell!

i'm getting quoted battery life times of 4hours on normal running conditions.

i love the new megsafe. i love the isight camera built in to.

great features.

i dont know about this whining noise? i've been using it nonstop, haven't left it on idle, is that when it happens?

yeh, sometimes i get the humming sound, kinda sounds like a cow going mooo.

happens only once in a while for a few seconds.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    I doubt it's the cpu. Most likely it's the power regulator for the CPU or some other part which, perhaps the chipset. Common problem on laptops made by Asus, Compal, Quanta and other south asian sweatshops.

It just showed up a few months ago on my friend's Asus as well.

Quote:

• Reply 10 of 23
    is aim mactel native yet?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    zubbazubba Posts: 15member
    The whine is pretty high pitched, and in "normal" environments where there is some background noise (like a coffee shop or an Apple store) you probably won't notice it. In quiet environments, like when writing a paper at home, or working at a library (both of which I do quiet often) the noise will drive you NUTS.

The good news is that there are some things you can do to fix the problem temporarily: 1) You can open photobooth and let it run in the backgroun. Or, 2) Open the mirror widget, let it run for a moment, then close it, and the noise disapears until you A) Open photobooth, or B) Reset the system. Weird huh? I'm probably going to take her back and wait a little bit to see if there is a fix, just because I will seriously start to have mental problems if I have to sit and listen to that noise for hours while I do research.

But guys, overall... this computer is awesome. It is super fast, the keyboard is a dream, the fit and finish is better then on the powerbooks, the display is stunning (maybe even too bright).
  • Reply 12 of 23
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    the cd drive isn't reading some of my cds, what gives ?

mainly Nine Inch Nails with teeth. duel layer disc containing dvd elements on one side, and the cd elements on the other. wtf?

the cd side wont work, the dvd will though.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    For some reason, Sony restricted DualDiscs' CD side to Windows only. I've had the same problem with like...5 other CD sides in my Early 2004 iBook.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

For some reason, Sony restricted DualDiscs' CD side to Windows only. I've had the same problem with like...5 other CD sides in my Early 2004 iBook.

but see on the itunes on my mac mini the cd atleast reads, i cant burn straight from the cd but i can transfer it to my harddrive then burn it.

on my mbp the cd wont even read.

what gives?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Opinion - Apple's Pro Laptops Stink

There I have said it. I came to this conclusion earlier this week, but have only now forced myself to admit the honest truth.

This past Monday, my eagerly awaited MacBook Pro arrived. I had been waiting for this type of fast notebook from Apple since they announced the Power Mac G5. So when, on January 10th, Steve Jobs announced the specs, I plunked down my credit card for one 15 minutes after the online Apple Store came back up.

When I turned my MacBook Pro on, the first thing I noticed was a slight haze that made the far right part of the screen appear darker than the rest of the display. As it loaded OS X, the very bottom of the display was brighter. After transferring all of my files and apps with the Migration Assistant, the screens flaws weren't as noticeable, even though it had this imbalance from left to right in terms of brightness. In contrast to the display on my 1.5GHz PowerBook G4, the MacBook Pro's screen was much brighter. I got over it...a little bit.

Then I was sitting there at my dining room table when I made a mistake. The computer made its error alert sound, and I thought I had blown my right speaker. I didn't make anything of it until a few minutes later when started playing a sound clip on the web and the whole right speaker sounded distorted. So I played some music and it sounded awful. Laptop speakers never sound too great regardless, but this was especially bad. My spirits dimmed a little more.

OK, the battery was running out after it's first charge so I let it drain completely until it was forced to sleep, as the directions in the booklet tell me to do for calibration. I let it sleep five hours and charged the battery. In the morning, I proceeded to wake it up to check my email and the computer was dark...and frozen. I had to force it off and start up again. Thinking that this was a fluke, I did my morning business, put it to sleep, and went to work. When I got home, I woke it up and it did the same thing. Any time I left the computer asleep for an extended period of time, it wouldn't wake up. Sometimes I would get the glimpse of a kernel panic screen.

The first night I wanted to let it draw down and force it to sleep to complete the calibration, but instead of going to sleep the computer shut itself off. Never went to sleep, just quit and turned off.

After reading the discussions forums over at Apple's site, it was obvious this thing has a lot of production defects, and may explain why it's taking so long to get into the hands of customers. My MacBook Pro also had the "processor whine" which I could somewhat live with if it weren't for all of the other problems I was experiencing. In fact my 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 will make this noise only when I attempt to save an attachment in FirstClass client. So I am thinking that the whine can either be fixed with a software update or a firmware update.

I gave Apple a call on Wednesday about my three major issues ? distorted/defective right speaker, waking from sleep, and display ? and they tell me that they would have to call me back tomorrow with an answer. The next day, they called back and told me that I could either return it or get a replacement. At first I was going to opt for the replacement, then I thought, I don't want to be the recipient of another defective unit. So I ended up opting for a credit. I cannot wait until they get all of the bugs ironed out.

This brings me to my frustration with Apple...

Their pro line is terrible. When I think back at the times I bought a PowerBook and it was defective, it's just about all of them. WTF Apple? Why do I keep bashing my head against the wall?

All of my Apple desktops have worked or are working flawlessly. I work in a school and all of the iBooks, with a few exceptions work well. As much as I lust for the MacBook Pro, I am seriously waiting to see what the MacBook brings.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

After reading the discussions forums over at Apple's site, it was obvious this thing has a lot of production defects, and may explain why it's taking so long to get into the hands of customers.

Its not totally surprising or unexpected.

That's the reason some people are not willing to be early adopters.

Sorry to hear about your problems though.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    sucks to hear the bad news.

besides one of my cds not reading everything else has been top notch i think.

i dont get the whine noise, i thought i heard it once but i dont think so.

the computer runs fine right now (knock on wood)
  • Reply 18 of 23
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    DHagan4755, I understand your frustration and I certainly would not like to have a similar experience. But it is a little bit too early to draw conclusions about built quality of the new Mac portables, especially when there are also good ratings for this machine.

The little or big defects here and there that admittedly one can find in the MacBook Pro and Powerbook lines (curiously enough more widespread in the 15" model), seem to start around the white spot era. Now, who jinxed the 15" Powerbook?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Does anyone know which model powerbook is the most popular (by model I mean size)? I would assume 15, but I'm not sure.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by jpennington

Does anyone know which model powerbook is the most popular (by model I mean size)? I would assume 15, but I'm not sure.

of course 15.

i thought the 12 was to but they opted to stay with the 17 inch and get rid of the 12.

ripping: when i'm transferring songs from a cd to itunes the cpu is running at 95percent.

this is what i dont get. is it supposed to be running that high?