Transfering user account settings to other Mac w/o overright and w/o making admin

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
yes, i know i spelled overwrite wrong in the subject line. i was on the phone.

---

My girlfriend has an iBook G4 on Panther. I have an iMac G5 on Tiger. I want to transfer the contents of her user account on the iBook (files, background, itunes, etc) to my iMac and add her as a Standard user on my computer. Basically, I want to do what Target Disk mode does w/o having it overwrite the user settings on my computer.

This way whether she's on her computer or mine she'll be able to feel like she's on hers.

what's the easiest way to do this?

also, what's the easiest way to enable the computer to autoupdate between the two computer's mail, iphoto, itunes, etc. I have .mac, but can I restrict .mac so that only certain files are uploaded or refreshed depending on which user is logged in? (if i wanted to do it automatically)

I really feel like I should be able to do this. Am I right? Is this what applescripts (now automater) can be used for. that'd be great if I could do it through automater

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    so no one knows how to do this?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icibaqu

so no one knows how to do this?

Launch the Migration Assistant on your Tiger Mac. It will walk you through the whole thing. You need a FireWire cable.

dot-mac syncing is trivial through the dot-mac Pref pane. Register both computers and set the items that you want synced. They have to be small enough to fit on the iDisk, of course.