French made goods

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
This is a thread where I welcome any and all ideas which can direct one to high quality French made goods.

Items in particular which I have an interest include:

French tripple milled soaps.

French cookware.

Also I ask Powerdoc, Have you been to Grasse France and if so how would you rate the experience to a French lover living in the US.

A question I pose to you all in Europe who have experience with French made products is this:

What are some French made products that can be ordered / purchased via internet and shipped to my doorstep which I may not normally find in my day to day shopping?

Items of interest are simple pleasure items like bath and body goods, teas, cookware etc.

Thanks,

Fellows

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    welcome back me ol' sparring partner...

I'd say something about French Maids, but it wouldn't be funny.

I've been away aswell, but I've been keeping a random eye on this place,but it seems "tres" boring at the moment.

Later
  • Reply 2 of 31
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Le Creuset

Undeniably the must have items for any classy kitchen.

I agree. My Creuset cookware is the most important stuff in my kitchen and it is really beautiful. Some say it doesn´t distribute the heat good enough and you have the usual problem with cast iron (slow heating, slow cooling) but beside a simple $10 pan all my cookware is Creuset.

Next up: Valrhona Chocolate. Can be pretty expensive if you don´t know the right places to buy. A 200 gram bar costs about $10 here but I found a place in Berlin where I buy 6 pounds for $40-45 (yes I use a lot of chocolate), a third of the price. Beside bars and large packings they also make individual pieces, really high end.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Quote:

Yes, but people who say that miss the point - the slow-cooking is a different taste if you are serious about cooking.

I don't know Valrhona - might have to check it out. When we lived in Paris used to go to La Maison du Chocolat or else Richart is good for gifts.

Speaking of cooking I like This Paris Based Food Blog
  • Reply 4 of 31
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Dear Felloship, Unfortunately I never came in Grasse, the city of perfumes. Suskin wrote a book on this subjet : The perfume

The heroe, Grenouille (froggy in english ) is frightening. If you want to know more about perfume this book is great.

Le creuset is great undoubtely.

There is also great cheese in France but most of them are non pasteurised, and that's an issue with US laws.

Teas are better In england for sure.

Did you try amazon ?

I did the search about french bath and here it is : http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...nch%20products
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Quote:

Yes, the greatest cheeses in the world. No doubt.

Imo, the Auvergne cheeses are the best money can buy anywhere: Gaperon, St Nectaire and Cantal are unbeatable if you can find them in non commercial productions.

Yes non commercial : you said it all.

I eat also great Saint Marcellin and great reblochons.

I eat too much cheese BTW
  • Reply 6 of 31
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Sounds like France would destroy my lactose intolerant innards.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I have the good looking creuset wok:

And to tell you the truth, it sucks. It looks good, but it does not wok good...
  • Reply 8 of 31
    But my Sabatier bread knife:

On the other hand, cuts bread like no knife I've ever had...
  • Reply 9 of 31
    One thing I cannot live without:

Some good dijon mustard...
  • Reply 10 of 31
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Next up: Valrhona Chocolate.

I am a bit of a chocolate fiend lately - so I ordered 4 bars of this chocolate to try. My favorite so far is the "Chocolove 77% dark" stuff that they sell at whole foods, and hopefully this will be even better:

Valrhona French Chocolate - Organic Dark Chocolate, 70% Cocoa, 100g/3.5oz.

Valrhona French Chocolate - Dark Chocolate Caraibe 66% Cocoa Bar, 75g/2.62oz.

Valrhona French Chocolate - Dark Chocolate Le Noir Amer 71% Cocoa Bar, 100g/3.5oz.\t

Valrhona French Chocolate - Dark Chocolate Noir Extra Amer 85% Cocoa Bar, 100g/3.5oz.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:

Is it cast-iron? A cast-iron wok would definitely suck.....

Not necessarily, but this one certainly does suck...
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Valrhona French Chocolate - Dark Chocolate Caraibe 66% Cocoa Bar, 75g/2.62oz.

´

My favorite
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Couldn't´t help it. Almost one kilogram of the best narcotics on earth (and a combined stakeholder-social network analysis of the Mohammad crisis in the background)
  • Reply 14 of 31
    now THAT's blasphemy...
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:

Definitely - it's a PC

A PC

Anders you are banned
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Hehe.

I am at my parents house. Trying to finish a paper I have to deliver in [checks watch] 11 hours and 35 minutes. SOmetimes you just have to leave your normal settings to get something done.

I have done my best to get them to go Mac. They did actually go Mac (first gen iMac) but went back Reason: "Why can´t the computer run as fast as the PCs we have at work (talking one year ago about a 256 mb ram, maxed out hard disk and a 233 Mhz processor)".
  • Reply 17 of 31
    I am so sorry for your Anders.

Unlift the ban

• Reply 18 of 31
    Speaking of french goods...

What ever happened to the design of the Citröen cars?

These days they suck. While Pegeout and Renault are comming out with some great designs...
  • Reply 19 of 31
    did I metion french comics?

Moebius is one of my favourites...
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Yes, Moebius was a large contributor of the original Alien movie.