Video of fake video iPod picture being made

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In case any of you dont check out digg.com...it is a quicktime movie that the guy that made the supposed iPod video made.

http://web.mac.com/christianwedlock/...stian/fake.mov

pretty funny.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I love digg. Any other AIers who visit digg mind taking a second to digg digg my MacBook Pro Benchmarks?

(A little self promotion never hurt anyone. )
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaturalElement

In case any of you dont check out digg.com...it is a quicktime movie that the guy that made the supposed iPod video made.

http://web.mac.com/christianwedlock/...stian/fake.mov

pretty funny.

Well that is a Dutch version of photoshop going on there,

got me proud of the capabilities of my fellow countrymen/women
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by dutch pear

Well that is a Dutch version of photoshop going on there,

got me proud of the capabilities of my fellow countrymen/women

Well - I don't know how proud you should be - after reviewing the video, I don't see how anyone could have done a worse job in making that mock-up. Not only were the wrong techniques used, but it was just plain sloppiness which made it look like an obvious fake.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Well - I don't know how proud you should be - after reviewing the video, I don't see how anyone could have done a worse job in making that mock-up. Not only were the wrong techniques used, but it was just plain sloppiness which made it look like an obvious fake.

Like what? The video obviously cut stuff out, but they used all the right techniques down to adding a mask to the tag that went over the display...

And no one has yet qualified what looks fake about it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Is this true?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Song produced in garageband!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Like what? The video obviously cut stuff out, but they used all the right techniques down to adding a mask to the tag that went over the display...

And no one has yet qualified what looks fake about it.

Well, first off, no masking was used - he just lowered the opacity on the eraser. I only mention that to show that you may not be in the best position to be deciding if a good job had been done or not.

Mistake #1) Why did he take two pictures? Hes using photoshop for christ sake, he could have easily flopped the screen. This was his first big mistake because the screen that he dumped in he positioned to close to the edge - making the corner radiuses look fucked up. This was actually mentioned in one of the posts he included in the video. As well, the two screens where on different angles, making it look like it was bowing in the middle. The only reason I can think of for re-shooting it was to get the lighting for the other side, but then the dipshit goes and covers the whole thing up with the lcd test graphic.

Mistake #2) Filling the gap between the two screens was a huge sloppy mess, and his method of copying and moving the screen layer was probably the worst method he could have chosen to fill that gap. The edges of the iPod screen looked chopped up, now we all know why.

Mistake #3) The LCD test screen he drew in illustrator and then copied into the iPod - the colours bled into each other which doesn't happen on LCD's. I can only guess that he was working with a low resolution photograph, and when he pasted in the illustrator image, there wasn't enough resolution to create a clean split between the colours. I don't know what was a dumber mistake, actually making that mistake, or being dumb enough not to notice it.

Mistake #4) Using pure black for the black on the LCD screen test image.

Mistake #5) I notice he goes to the filter menue quite a bit, yet all the top 4 options are disabled, so he shot that without any image open - so that was just for show. If he needed to use any filters to put his little hack job together then he is even dumber than I originally thought. I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he was merely trying to make the appearance that he actually knew how to use the program.

Mistake #6) Using a barcode with an old number. If he's going to do research on how to spell in chinese etc, then he could have done his homework and figured out Apple serial numbers as to make his elusion last more that 7 seconds. I'm still not sure why he threw in the sticker, was it to make it look like factory authentic, or to cover up a hack pasted job?

Mistake #7) White balance correcting using the mid-tone color balance controls. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!!!!

Mistake #8 ) Lowering the white point value in curves? WTF????? And then goes and resets it using levels or something, giving him the same fucking image he had before.

Mistake #9 ) Filming the process. If he had put half the time into actually making the mock up, than he spent making that movie, not only would he probably have done a better job (although I have my doubts), but we wouldn't all be howling at his pathetic photoshop skills.

Anyhow, it's a shame he left other stuff out, it was comedy gold. I just feel sorry for the poor bastards ( I believe there are 2 in this forum anyway) that fell for it hook line and sinker.