URGENT HELP NEEDED - Chinese input on OS 10.4

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
1. iPod halo effect is real.

2. The iBook is a great computer for the price.

3. Mac OS is fantastic.

4. If Apple doesn't fix Chinese Input, the HK market for Mac is doomed.

Here's the thing... my girlfriend is a recent switcher. She is also a professional translator, from English to Chinese text. She depends on Chinese input for her livelihood.

And she says she can't stand Chinese on her iBook and now wants to switch back!

In Hong Kong, everybody uses the "Cangjie" input method for entering Chinese. And up until OS 10.2, Apple's Cangjie dictionary worked just fine. But for some reason, Apple broke it in 10.3, and didn't fix it in 10.4. It doesn't work the sdame as it used to, and it doesn't work like Windows. So lots of switchers are going to have problems.

It seems Apple's Chinese input development team concentrated on the pinyin and zhuyin methods so much that an entire other market (Hong Kong) was ignored.

My question is, how do I save my girlfriend from switching back? How can I fix Cangjie for 10.4? How can she learn to use it as efficiently as she uses Chinese on Windows?

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't read Chinese myself, so I am unable to follow any discussions about this on the internet. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    send feedback to apple
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I don't know anything about Chinese input methods, but maybe this might help?

http://www.yale.edu/chinesemac/pages/os_x4.html

http://www.macintouch.com/readerrepo...topic2795.html

Quote:

It's right there built into the OS. Here is how you activate it (I am doing this in 10.3.8, but I am quit sure it's the same for all OSX systems):

1. Open System Preferences>International>Input Menu

2. Turn on Traditional Chinese.

3. Make sure "Show Input Menu in Menu Bar" is checked.

4. Close the System Preference window.

5. Go to the Input Menu (if you are using a US system, it should be a US flag icon) and select Traditional Chinese.

6. Click on the Input Menu again, you should see a list of 8 input methods at the bottom half of the pull down menu. Pinyin, BoPoMo (listed as Zhuyin), Cangjie are all there.

7. Steps are the same for Simplified Chinese, only with different input methods.

If you mean that the support is there, but it's broken in some way, send feedback to Apple and hope they fix it. :/
  • Reply 3 of 6
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    I love typing in Chinese. I usually use the Pinyin [Look at the first link (http://www.yale.edu/chinesemac/pages/os_x4.html) for reference, but check the Pinyin option under traditional INSTEAD of the Hanin) and use the ITABC (or something of that sort) for simplified input. Works for me, but takes a while of scrolling to find the correct character.

One thing they do need to correct is the size of the characters on the menus because some of the traditional ones are so complicated that they get smashed and you can't tell what they are.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Was it really that bad? Or didn't use it correctly?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by trtam

I love typing in Chinese. I usually use the Pinyin [Look at the first link (http://www.yale.edu/chinesemac/pages/os_x4.html) for reference, but check the Pinyin option under traditional INSTEAD of the Hanin) and use the ITABC (or something of that sort) for simplified input. Works for me, but takes a while of scrolling to find the correct character.

One thing they do need to correct is the size of the characters on the menus because some of the traditional ones are so complicated that they get smashed and you can't tell what they are.

He and she speak cantonese dialect, pinyun is for mandarin speaker. Without knowing each dialects, 2 people from each side can not communicate.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    Oh. Cantonese. I'm only learning Manderin...