Coffee on Keyboard

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi everyone

I spilled a cup of coffee on my keyboard and now it's doesn't work. Its a nice BT one so not really in the mood for spending another £40 on one.

I have now borrowed some tools from work and amd going to open it up and see if I can clean it further.

What I want to know is, am I wasting my time in trying to clean it or do I have a chance of salvaging this keyboard back? Or shall I just get myself a new KB and iskin?

If you think I may get away with a cleaning it does anyone have any advice/experince with this?

Thanks in advance

Denver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    All I can tell you is that in my case a full glass of coke was spilt over it, and it too stopped working.

It was immediatley unplugged (normal apple keyboard, not wireless). I poured hot water over it several times until the water coming out was clear, and so all traces of coke was gone.

I then put it on a radiator for 2 days to dry it out completely.

Barring one key that is now a bit sticky, it works perfectly OK now (the sticky key does do the B, it just needs a firmer press!). I didn't take it apart to do the cleaning.

Good luck.

David
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    If you use water, use distilled water.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I haven't had to clean a BT one yet but for the regular wired ones, we use contact cleaner and a swab ( it evaporates very quickly and leaves no residue). For a computer lab that is not suppose to have any eating or drinking in it, we find crumbs and spills all the time.

reg
  • Reply 4 of 4
    on a related but different note... what is the best way to clean an iBook's keyboard, handrest and touchpad that have gotten dirty from just regular usage.