Powerbook kernel panics when unplugged, bis

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Everytime I unplug our powerbook from the adapter, it gives me the message to restart the computer. I tested it again and then I got lines of data on screen saying: system failure: cpu=0? and then something about the ATI card in it.

I would have taken a picture, but camera is in repair.

With adapter plugged in, it all works perfectly.

What I did the last week leading up to this. I got 1GB ram from Kingston and I tested the DVI port on our new LCD TV. My brother uses iTunes with an external drive.

System is a Powerbook 15", 1.25ghz, 1.25GB Ram and 10.4.5.

Any tips, hints tricks, solutions might help?

Sorry about double post, bad connection.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I will test later if the Ram is the problem. I just checked some othe mac sites and Kingston memory is not the way to go.

Here is another question then, I checked the Ram I took out and that one was from Apple and they had it from Samsung. The Ram from Kingston is also from Samsung, so what is the problem then?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Did you remove the new RAM and then see if that fixed it?

Any particular stick of RAM can be defective.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Well, I switched the Ram and tried to reproduce the problem. THe problem didn't occur again.

I also tried the new Ram again and there was no problem.

I tried some websites yesterday and on one particular website Safari crashed, with both old and new ram. SO I deleted the site and tried the site again today and there was no problem, everything seems to be working fine again, plugged and unplugged.

Next time something happens I will try to take picture.