Does anyone use OmniOutliner

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple is including this on all new Macs, and I've read about it on Omni's web site. However, I can't find any good uses for it. Does anyone use it and if so, could you post screen shots of your outlines?

Cheers,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    nosariousnosarious Posts: 49member
    If I can't figure out a program's behaviour within the first ten minutes or so, I shelve it.

I shelved this one quite some time ago because honestly it is lacking in intuitive sense.

I tried it... I really didn't like it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    [quote]Originally posted by nosarious:

<strong>If I can't figure out a program's behaviour within the first ten minutes or so, I shelve it.

I shelved this one quite some time ago because honestly it is lacking in intuitive sense.

I tried it... I really didn't like it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmmm...I'm trying to figure out what is so difficult to understand about it. Seemed very straightforward to me. Granted, there are some features I don't necessarily "get"...but the basic point and usage was very clear.

I use OmniOutliner all the time for a variety of things. (OmniGraffle too BTW).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I use it for taking notes during meetings and jotting down outlines for papers. It's pretty simple once you get used to certain terms. Like "hoist" just changes the view of the outline to make the current item the top of the outline. It's cool to use with omnigraffle b/c it'll make diagrams of outlines. Very nice interaction between the two apps.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Like I said in a few other posts... I find Macjournal more useful and intuitive than I do Omnioutliner.

To me, an outlining prorgam should allow you to build an essay by entering the specific sentences of each paragraph (as an outline) and build the entire essay by fleshing out the paragraphs. A great little program on the Amiga to do this was called Flow.

Now, granted, I tried Omni Outliner a few versions ago, so perhaps I should give it a shot again, What I remember most, though, was that it really required a significant concept change as to how it should behave...

A window opened and there was very little which indicated how it should behave.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is a 'bad' program, but the question was 'do I use it?" and the answer is no, I can't.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Outliner is a great tool for getting your thoughts / tasks down on (screen). It's not really meant to be a professional-level tool, but rather something that gives the average user something they can organize their lists and thoughts with. That said, I like iOrganize better for maintaining simple to-do lists, tasks and other work-related stuff. It's NOT good for typical Roman outlining, but it is good for what I mentioned.