Problems with the Mighty Mouse Scroll Ball

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have been having problems with my mighty mouse scroll ball recently. About a month ago the ball wouldnt register scrolling up, but randomly fixed itself like 3 days later. Now it wont register scrolling down at all. At least before it would register the scrolling up in programs other than FireFox, but the scrolling down doesnt work in any program/window. Anyone else experience these problems??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    jdradenjdraden Posts: 89member
    This happens to me every few months with the Mighty Mouse. I just put some windex on a paper towel and rub it over the ball in different directions. Then let the ball dry for a few minutes and it should work.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    roffroff Posts: 58member
    You may want to have a look at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302417 for cleaning instructions. This worked to clean a stuck scroll ball for my Mighty Mouse.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I have the same problem every few months. It won't scroll up and then a little while later it works fine. I have found that just moving it in all directions for a little while (a minute or so) fixes it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    OMG..PPL use that thing?!?!?!?!?

• Reply 5 of 8
    I used to have a logitech mx900 (or 9000 or something, their bluetooth model), I like this one better.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Anybody else find it amusing that after singing the praises of optical mice for so long Apple have reverted to a mechanical solution for the scroll-ball?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TrojanShawn

I have been having problems with my mighty mouse scroll ball recently. About a month ago the ball wouldnt register scrolling up, but randomly fixed itself like 3 days later. Now it wont register scrolling down at all. At least before it would register the scrolling up in programs other than FireFox, but the scrolling down doesnt work in any program/window. Anyone else experience these problems??

I came on the fourm to post the same problem, almost word for word.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    I cleaned it with just water and a cloth and it worked.