Possible to send files to a Windows Home PC wirelessly?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey.

On my iMac G5 I have numerous movies that I have created in iMovie that I'd like to send to my Sisters Laptop (Windows XP Home Edition)as well as numerous audio files created in GarageBand.

Connected to my Mac is a wireless Netgear router which she uses to share my broadband connection.

My question is, how can I send these files to her laptop wirelessly.

I can use MSN Messenger but the speed is pretty damn slow. I'm hoping theres a way to do this at the 54Mbps speed rate that my router is capable of.

Thanks for any help you guys can come up with.

Dan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Short answer ... YES.

I do it all the time between OSX and WinHome over an Airport express.

In Sys Prefs, "Sharing" ... make sure you have checked "Windows Sharing".

Also check "Personal File Sharing" if you want to be able to see the Mac from the Windows macine.

On the Windows machine, you will need to make sure that the folder/volume you want to access is enabled for sharing over a network. I THINK you can get to that by right-clicking on the icon of that folder/volume. I don't have that machine handy to check right now.

At that point, you should be able to open a Finder window, select "Network" and see the windows computer/folder.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thank you very much. Much appreciated.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dwright86

Thank you very much. Much appreciated.

Hi,

I've another suggestion that should give you faster transfer rates. SMB is useful if you plan on sharing between the PC and Mac often, so it would be useful to set up.

For the large amount of file transferring you want to do, use FTP instead.

On your Mac, open system preferences and go to sharing, then activate FTP sharing. If you highlight "FTP Access" it should say at the bottom of the window: "Other people can access your FTP server at: ..." make a note of what it says, then go to the Windows machine and open internet explorer. Enter the address that your Mac told you, and you should be asked for a name and password. Enter you Mac User Name and Password, navigate to the files you want to copy, and go!

Good luck!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Hi,

I've another suggestion that should give you faster transfer rates. SMB is useful if you plan on sharing between the PC and Mac often, so it would be useful to set up.

For the large amount of file transferring you want to do, use FTP instead.

On your Mac, open system preferences and go to sharing, then activate FTP sharing. If you highlight "FTP Access" it should say at the bottom of the window: "Other people can access your FTP server at: ..." make a note of what it says, then go to the Windows machine and open internet explorer. Enter the address that your Mac told you, and you should be asked for a name and password. Enter you Mac User Name and Password, navigate to the files you want to copy, and go!

Good luck!

Nice, nice. I was looking for so long for a simple and viable

way to share huge files over a mixed network. This is the answer,

finally.