iTunes Subscription vs Pay To Own

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
After reading the ThinkSecret articles today it got me thinking....

up til now I was thinking "of course i would want to own it...just like my music" but the more i thought about it the more i realized that movies really arent like music. although i have watched a bunch of movies more than once its not the norm. there are plenty of movies i would just like to see once...maybe twice, but probably not within a month or so. So what do most people do? blockbusters, rent a few movies , turn them in...maybe buy one classic or something that you will watch a few times. Out of all the movies i have bought on dvd there are only a few i have actually watched more than like 5 times within a few years. so for me, rather than spending $4-5 every movie at blockbusters why not pay $10 a month and be able to say " hey , bored, lets pull up itunes movie store and see whats shakin?" We would probably spend more than $10 a month watching movies so in the end it would be cheaper. and for movies we really decide we want to keep, buy it on dvd or blueray when its finally out.

sounds like steve is being a bit stubborn (really?!) about this but i think for movies subscriptions just make more sense.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i sort of agree, if i want a movie i just rent it, music is much more personel then movies, yes i think owning some make sense, like kids movies but for me and my wife we rent. having a subscription service for movies makes sense, say i can view some many a month for a fee. if they were new releases and cost less than netflix. but it would have to be very recent in movies or at the same time as in the theaters. movies i think is a different model than music. what i would consider for kids is recorded, but i like to take them with me when we travel unless apple made a vpod with enough HD to hold bunch of movies, they wouldn't have to be in best quality maybe a system to save at different quality levels so the hd can hold more. dvd's for ease of use hard to beat, and if you purchased movies then you would have to have a system to backup
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macfly

After reading the ThinkSecret articles today it got me thinking....

up til now I was thinking "of course i would want to own it...just like my music" but the more i thought about it the more i realized that movies really arent like music. although i have watched a bunch of movies more than once its not the norm. there are plenty of movies i would just like to see once...maybe twice, but probably not within a month or so. So what do most people do? blockbusters, rent a few movies , turn them in...maybe buy one classic or something that you will watch a few times. Out of all the movies i have bought on dvd there are only a few i have actually watched more than like 5 times within a few years. so for me, rather than spending $4-5 every movie at blockbusters why not pay $10 a month and be able to say " hey , bored, lets pull up itunes movie store and see whats shakin?" We would probably spend more than $10 a month watching movies so in the end it would be cheaper. and for movies we really decide we want to keep, buy it on dvd or blueray when its finally out.

sounds like steve is being a bit stubborn (really?!) about this but i think for movies subscriptions just make more sense.

the last horse finally crosses the line!

just kidding, cause actually not many people seem to understand that you don't watch all your movies 3 times a day like you might with a favorite tune. your words make perfect sense.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    so how does this work against the cable/ dish pay per view, what will people use...is itunes/ ivideo that much better than a 3.99 ppv on your dvr???i'm telling you i don't use ppv, and the reason it's all OLD stuff. i'd pay for "now in theaters" movies and then i would see value in trying some mix of movies not just the highest reviewed. so what model is apple going for just another ppv, remember in 3-4 months you can BUY the dvd. SJ has something spectacular up his sleeve, since like no one else in the business he understand fully all angles and can deliver it...can't wait (i just hope hope hope their vpod will have wifi, maybe even a pci slot for a cellular connection and browser)
  • Reply 4 of 9
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    As someone who doesn't have cable, I would love to be able to subscribe to The Daily Show, for say, $5 a month, and the same for Sportscenter.

Then I'd have everything that'd I'd watch if I did have cable (not a lot which is why I don't have it), only much cheaper!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

(i just hope hope hope their vpod will have wifi, maybe even a pci slot for a cellular connection and browser)

no way you're serious.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

no way you're serious.

hey ok the pci slot was over the top but it should have wifi and BT fershur
  • Reply 7 of 9
    My dream for a perfect iTMS

1. Pay monthly for Movies, tv shows, and music videos

2. Add a price to each item if you want to keep them and burn them to dvd (5 dollars for movies, 1.99 for tv shows and vidz

3. Big catalog

4. Have two options for download to ipod or have a dvd quality version for televisions

This of course will never happen. But i can dream
  • Reply 8 of 9
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    good point about movies. i haven't even watched about 1/3 of the movies i have. i just never feel like dedicating a 2 hour chunk of time to them.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

good point about movies. i haven't even watched about 1/3 of the movies i have. i just never feel like dedicating a 2 hour chunk of time to them.

Me too, although recently I've been better at it. And 2 hours? More like 3-4 if you include special features!