$280 Alpine car upgrade = iPod goodness

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The new 2006 iPod full speed systems from Alpine are pretty nice and fairly reasonable. I'd been using an FM tuner for my iPod in the car and it was ok, but here in Phoenix there was a lot of background noise from other stations that really sucked no matter what station I used.

I picked up the CDA-9856 because it had the 2006 new full speed iPod interface (no extra box needed.) These run about $230 but like Apple, Alpine charges for the cable to attach from the iPod to the system so that accounts for the added cost.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...model=CDA-9856

The only reason why I chose the 9856 over the slightly cheaper 9852 is because its XM/Sirius ready. $30 for a nice feature like that is worth it for me.

After having it installed I couldn't be happier with the interface as well as the sound. Its pretty fantastic controlling it from the deck and having my iPod in the locked glove compartment out of sight in a zipper case.

Now I tend to put all my podcasts into playlists for easy browsing and for me, this is probably the best attachment for the iPod I've ever had. Nothing compares to the clean sound of direct line in, it really makes a difference compared to FM tuners.

Anyway, thought I'd post a comment about these new Alpine decks, they are worth the price.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'm curious to know what "satellite radio ready" means.

Is it that there is some way for a sat receiver to talk to head unit's display? Does Alpine make some sort of satellite add-on for the head unit itself? Or is it just the presence of aux inputs?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    well, from what i can tell, it just allows you to purchase either an XM or Sirius 'box' which can be controlled directly through the head unit. I think they are still yet to be available along with the USB unit (plug any USB drive in and play tunes from it).
  • Reply 3 of 8
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    That sounds cool. I'm considering an upgrade to the car stereo myself, and I like the idea of a head unit with a lot of extensibility.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

I'm curious to know what "satellite radio ready" means.

Is it that there is some way for a sat receiver to talk to head unit's display? Does Alpine make some sort of satellite add-on for the head unit itself? Or is it just the presence of aux inputs?

It means that you can pay an extra ~100$ for a box that mounts under a seat and an antenna for XM and control the channel with the head unit

PPL who buy iPod head units just for the dock connect are insain!!! A $50 sony head unit has aux input, use that to connect the iPod, laptop, portable DVD player, anythig, and at a fraction of the price
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

It means that you can pay an extra ~100$ for a box that mounts under a seat and an antenna for XM and control the channel with the head unit

PPL who buy iPod head units just for the dock connect are insain!!! A $50 sony head unit has aux input, use that to connect the iPod, laptop, portable DVD player, anythig, and at a fraction of the price

Can your sony control the ipod through the head unit? I think not. I wanted mine out of sight. Locked up and not dangling around.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

Can your sony control the ipod through the head unit? I think not. I wanted mine out of sight. Locked up and not dangling around.

You could always get a remote for the iPod...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG3

that might work for you but I'm tired of dongles and things sticking out. Having everything tucked away in the glovebox is nice. I'd love some stearing wheel controls but my suv doesn't have them.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG3

To bad that remote doesn't also charge said iPod.