installing itunes help.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just received a G4 466mhz and I've been trying to upgrade itunes so it will let me download music. It downloads but when I try to install it says, "itunes cannot be installed on this computer". Anyone have some advice? I have osx.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by singlefin

I just received a G4 466mhz and I've been trying to upgrade itunes so it will let me download music. It downloads but when I try to install it says, "itunes cannot be installed on this computer". Anyone have some advice? I have osx.

That's because your computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements to install iTunes. I think it requires at least a 500 MHz processor. Click on this link to make sure you meet the minimum system requirements:

iTunes System Requirements
  • Reply 2 of 9
    alias789alias789 Posts: 46member
    yeah but it says 500 mhz G3 or better, isnt a 466 mhz G4 better?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alias789

yeah but it says 500 mhz G3 or better, isnt a 466 mhz G4 better?

A 466 MHz G4 is a processor upgrade card. Apple doesn't provide support for processor upgrades, and 466 MHz isn't bigger than 500 MHz. Either way, it appears that your system was an old G3 iMac that was tweaked for speed. While this lets you run the machine faster, the disadvantage is that Apple doesn't support these 3rd party upgrades. Can you be a little more specific and tell me what computer you're using and what version of OS X you have?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    alias789alias789 Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AgNuke1707

A 466 MHz G4 is a processor upgrade card. Apple doesn't provide support for processor upgrades, and 466 MHz isn't bigger than 500 MHz. Either way, it appears that your system was an old G3 iMac that was tweaked for speed. While this lets you run the machine faster, the disadvantage is that Apple doesn't support these 3rd party upgrades. Can you be a little more specific and tell me what computer you're using and what version of OS X you have?

Um well I'm not the OP so I couldn't be more specific. I wasn't saying that the 466 was bigger just questioning the wording of the link. I was under the impression that a G4 was a better chip than a G3. A 1.6 ghz G5 would probably run circles around 1.67 ghz G4, no?

Macintosh Requirements

Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later

500MHz G3 processor or better

QuickTime 6.5.2 or later

256MB RAM

Combo/Super Drive to burn CDs

Broadband Internet connection (DSL/Cable/LAN) for buying and streaming music
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I didn't even think about looking at the requirements. The machine only has 128mb and 466mhz...way off. o well. It was free anyway. Thanks for the help.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alias789

Um well I'm not the OP so I couldn't be more specific. I wasn't saying that the 466 was bigger just questioning the wording of the link. I was under the impression that a G4 was a better chip than a G3. A 1.6 ghz G5 would probably run circles around 1.67 ghz G4, no?

You're right, the G4 is a better chip, but it still has to meet the baseline MHz requirement. Like I said, without knowing more about your computer, its kinda hard for me to help you anymore. Apple never sold a machine with a 466 MHz G4 processor in it. That's why I'm assuming it's an upgraded G3. Is it an iMac or a laptop or a PowerMac? Can you click on the blue apple in the top left habnd corner and drag to about this Mac and let me know which version of the OS you're running?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Ok, one more time, I am not the OP (original poster). Like I said the wording could be more clear if it is a basic clock speed issue. But it says 500MHz G3 processor or better, where could say, 500MHz G3 processor or faster.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I had 10.4 and itunes 6 installed on a 450mhz G4 cube. No problems, it just installed like I expected it would.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    i have it installed on a 400 G3 imac Tiger "fully updated" no trouble at all. The imac is only used as a server so i never really use that install of itunes. I have played music on that imac before though.