Mac mini core solo upgraded to 2.16 GHz core duo

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was bored and browsing http://www.macrumors.com/ when I found about this person who upgraded his $599 core solo mac mini, the only thing I can say is wow!!

Here's the link to the site http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=91459

That Mac mini is looking really good know!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    I read that on The Register

2ghz core duo is ~$440 on newegg.com

1.83ghz is ~$300

Wouldn't it be silly if Apple sold a mini without drives and processor?

I can't wait for comparisons to the iMac 2.1ghz Duo
  • Reply 2 of 7
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Really great for down the line where faster coreduo comes down in price. In later time, faster chips will be available at cheaper price and this would make a good move for those who wants more power to keep thier mini current. However, it was one expensive proof of concept to upgrade a brand new macmini. Atleaset it will be king of the macmini benchmark test scores for awhile until faster coreduo shows up and someone else plunges thier hard earned $ to beat the benchmark scores.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Is the modded MacMini is actually running at the 2.16 speed? Or has it been suppressed in anyway by the OS?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The problem with that could be heat.

I'm sure the small form factor and passive cooling has some pretty tight heat tolorences.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Is the modded MacMini is actually running at the 2.16 speed? Or has it been suppressed in anyway by the OS?

It runs at 2.16GHz....

Seems to be no heat issue..... The guy claims that the rear vent still shoots out cool air.....
  • Reply 6 of 7
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

The problem with that could be heat.

I'm sure the small form factor and passive cooling has some pretty tight heat tolorences.

Well the core solo uses the same board as the core duo so the real question is could a 1.66 duo board hold a 2.16 duo? I don't really see why it couldn't, most core duo are supposed to be the same heat.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I purchased a Mini Core Duo today and the bottom of the mini is a lot hotter than my Mini G4 adn the rear blows out warm air.