Apple Europe boss to deliver London music keynote

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Pascal Cagni, Apple's general manager and vice president for Europe, the Middle East and Africa will speak at a London digital music conference next week, notes Macworld UK.

The European Apple boss is slated to deliver the keynote presentation at the Jupiter Research Plug.IN Digital Music Forum, which will take place in London on March 15.

Apple dominates the fast-expanding European music download market, according to Jupiter Research analysts, who recently revealed that Europe's legitimate digital music market was worth ?192 million in 2005, 267 percent more than in 2004.

Jupiter Research analyst Mark Mulligan said that just 5 percent of European Internet users paid for digital music in 2005.

"Apple dominates the market, so a large share of what we're seeing is actually the success of Apple rather than digital music as a whole," he observed, with new mobile and music subscription services ready to enter the market.

The free admission event will also feature JupiterResearch analyst presentations and round table discussions featuring other leading industry experts.

In the next 30 days, Apple will also have a presence at the Photo Imaging Expo in Tokyo, Japan; the Musikmesse music trade show in Frankfurt, Germany; and the IPEX 2006 print, imaging and media expo in Birmingham, UK.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Apple is definitely getting around more than they used to.

While they dropped the expo here in the Eastern NY/Boston area, they are at many more shows, both professional, and home, than they ever were before.

I suppose being much bigger, and more profitable, allows them to do this.

Another reason why growth is good for a company like Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    That's great, but I'm starting to agree with the whiners about the low bitrate songs. Let's see Apple step up and offer higher encoding rates.

Why do I say this? In the beginning, they claimed that "some" of the music in the first million songs was encoded from the original masters, but I *highly* doubt they were able to continue doing that as they added millions of more songs over the past three years.

Apple is working extremely hard to achieve the success they are now getting. I look forward to what the EU keynote presents. Let's just not have to suffer in quality for that success. Don't be cheap, Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    alexiusalexius Posts: 38member
    Not to mention their touting of the iPod Hi-Fi as so high quality.

Who cares about great speakers if iTMS is 128k?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by alexius

Not to mention their touting of the iPod Hi-Fi as so high quality.

Who cares about great speakers if iTMS is 128k?

Go to the thread on the BoomBox, or, read some of the reviews. It's clear that you don't know much about the product. Most people have more songs on their iPods that they've ripped from their cd's, than they do from iTunes. You can rip at many bitrates, or use Lossless Encoding.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What is this at the bottom of the article!

"he observed, with new mobile and music subscription services ready to enter the market."

A while back 'apple' applied for a trademark "mobile me"!

This is indeed interesting! iPod phone possibly, who knows!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Go to the thread on the BoomBox, or, read some of the reviews. It's clear that you don't know much about the product. Most people have more songs on their iPods that they've ripped from their cd's, than they do from iTunes. You can rip at many bitrates, or use Lossless Encoding.

What's with the arrogance? I own one, and yes I have ripped many cds to itunes, but all i said is my ITMS MUSIC is noticeably poorer quality coming out of the HI-FI!

Punk.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

What's with the arrogance? I own one, and yes I have ripped many cds to itunes, but all i said is my ITMS MUSIC is noticeably poorer quality coming out of the HI-FI!

Punk.

It's not arrogance. I go by what people say, as do we all. We know that iTunes sounds poorly through this. But your statement more than hints that the product itself isn't good, which we also know not to be true.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

It's not arrogance. I go by what people say, as do we all. We know that iTunes sounds poorly through this. But your statement more than hints that the product itself isn't good, which we also know not to be true.

Hate to squabble, but "Who cares about great speakers if iTMS is 128k?" doesn't sound like i'm doubting the speakers.

In other news, perhaps the recent allegations of music label online price fixing will lead to reduced prices and better licensing (i.e. the comments that suggest part of the reason for the lower quality is unwillingness on the part of the labels)
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

[B]Hate to squabble, but "Who cares about great speakers if iTMS is 128k?" doesn't sound like i'm doubting the speakers.

I don't want to squabble either, but since you quoted yourself, I will quote you as well.

This was the comment I was referring to:

"Not to mention their touting of the iPod Hi-Fi as so high quality."
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

I don't want to squabble either, but since you quoted yourself, I will quote you as well.

This was the comment I was referring to:

"Not to mention their touting of the iPod Hi-Fi as so high quality."

Nice try. From this it logically follows that selling an iPod touted for high quality output and music files that do not measure up to such a standard of quality is slightly odd.

Thanks for continuing the squabble. Nothing to say about recent rumours that I so constructively mentioned?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Nice try. From this it logically follows that selling an iPod touted for high quality output and music files that do not measure up to such a standard of quality is slightly odd.

Thanks for continuing the squabble. Nothing to say about recent rumours that I so constructively mentioned?

Nice try? Is that the best you can do? You said what you said. Either you think it's good, or you don't.

The question about iTunes is completely different. People who buy from iTunes are happy with it. I'm not happy with it, so I don't buy any. It seems pretty simple.

If you care about the quality, then you will encode your own files anyway. People who care about this already understand it.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Nice try? Is that the best you can do? You said what you said. Either you think it's good, or you don't.

The question about iTunes is completely different. People who buy from iTunes are happy with it. I'm not happy with it, so I don't buy any. It seems pretty simple.

If you care about the quality, then you will encode your own files anyway. People who care about this already understand it.

I'm not going to reply again, you are being quite unfair and immature for someone with over 3000 posts.

This is utterly bizarre. Let my elucide my position.

I find it a strange incongruency that a company sells, on one hand, a product touted as producing very high quality sound, and, on the other hand, sells music for that product that has been criticized for its lack of quality on anything more than ipod headphones.

That is ALL I am saying, no judgment on my part. I love both products, and I hope that maybe the introduction of the iPod Hi-Fi is a sign that perhaps Apple will up the quality of its Music Store. That's it! No personal attacks intended!

Does anyone else feel this same hope?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

I'm not going to reply again, you are being quite unfair and immature for someone with over 3000 posts.

This is utterly bizarre. Let my elucide my position.

I find it a strange incongruency that a company sells, on one hand, a product touted as producing very high quality sound, and, on the other hand, sells music for that product that has been criticized for its lack of quality on anything more than ipod headphones.

That is ALL I am saying, no judgment on my part. I love both products, and I hope that maybe the introduction of the iPod Hi-Fi is a sign that perhaps Apple will up the quality of its Music Store. That's it! No personal attacks intended!

Does anyone else feel this same hope?

I didn't make any personal attacks. Just commenting on your statements.

I'm fine with what you said here.

You are amazingly sensitive. I apologise for offending you.