Mogwai and more on aac 128 limitations

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So yesterday, by coincident, I discovered Mogwai had just released a new album. In the past I would have known about in for month in advance but lately I have been submerged into papers I have to write and books I have to read...

I of course bought it right away from iTMS and while its a good album it is not great. Too much recycling. But what I especially noticed was how flat it sounded. Mogwai is the kind of music I normally encode into Apple Loseless but to be honest I just thought I was fooling myself. But I was not! The iTMS version just isn´t up to the normal quality in my mind.

Anyone with the CD please try to compare the 30 second clips at the iTMS with "the real thing" and tell me if I am right inmy observations...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Anyone with the CD please try to compare the 30 second clips at the iTMS with "the real thing" and tell me if I am right inmy observations...

You are not fooling yourself. Complicated post-rock like Mogwai, and Jazz things I like as well, tend to loose a lot at iTunes rates of compression. It's better to get the CD, or else I often use eMusic.com, because they offer higher quality VBR Mp3 files. The Mogwai album is there as well, and sounds better than the iTunes version.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    Mogwai rocks.

Acquisition sometimes has pretty high bitrates.