No sound

regreg
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
For no reason I can think of, my pb 17 has stopped playing any sound. When I go into System Preference / sound / output, I get a "No output devices found", and the output volume has mute selected and it is greyed out so I can not change it. Trying to use the keyboard sound keys does not work. No built in speakers, or if I plug in external speakers or headphones, are found so they can not be choosen as an output device. The System Profiler does show hte speakers. When I restart the machine I get the start up tone, so I know the built in speakers are not bad. Any ideas?

pb17 1.67GHz w/ 2GB running 10.4.5

reg

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    The only thing I can think of is that a preference file somewhere is corrupted. If someone can work out where the Sound information is stored you could delete it, but I'm not sure.

Course, reinstalling OSX would probably fix this too, but that's not an attractive prospect.

Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Hmmm .. I can't find a pref file for the sound settings - I think they are in the PRAM.

Try zapping the PRAM. If that doesn't work, try resetting the NVRAM

zapping PRAM - boot holding down command-option-P-R until it chimes twice

resetting NVRAM:

boot holding down command-option-O-F until you get a prompt

enter the following 2 commands and hit return after each:

reset-nvram

reset-all

It will reboot.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Thank god for backups. I backed up my stuff and then went to the apple store to see the genius. She connects an external image disk and everything worked great, so the problem was only with my system partition. Well she runs FSCK and there are unrepairable extention errors and after that my pb won't boot back up. I take it back home run disk warrior and tech tool pro and they can not correct the problem. I end up erasing the whole drive and doing a clean install. Since I did not want to transfer over any corrupted files I reinstalled everything from the original CD's. I am just glad it was not a hardware problem.

reg