This Forum's Search Sucks.

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
As of just a few weeks ago, the Search for this forum is consistently horrible.

Look at this post of mine.

Now do a standard forum search for Foucault, Foucault*, Foucault's, Pendulum, etc. using "any date" "search all open forums" "search entire posts."

It won't come up. I can hardly find anything anymore, and in other posts, both other users and I have mistakenly posted that the forums have been whittled down. But it's not that. The old posts are there, they're just nearly impossible to find.

Oh, BTW: images in AI articles are still incompatible with Camino and Firefox. Come on, guys, that's so Microsoft. WTF?

--B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Oh, BTW: images in AI articles are still incompatible with Camino and Firefox. Come on, guys, that's so Microsoft. WTF?

I don't know what's wrong with you/your browser, but AI images work fine in Firefox for me. Make sure Firefox isn't blocking images from Appleinsider.com
  • Reply 2 of 45
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

I don't know what's wrong with you/your browser

That's nice.

Nope, I have no sites blocking anything. I have tried allowing AI as an exception and that doesn't work either. Only happens with AI.

I have also tried ctrl-click-->View Image and I get

400 Bad Request

Your client has issued a malformed or illegal request.

I'm using Deer Park 1.5.

--B
  • Reply 3 of 45
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Look at this post of mine.

Now do a standard forum search for Foucault, Foucault*, Foucault's, Pendulum, etc. using "any date" "search all open forums" "search entire posts."

It won't come up.

--B

All of those search terms work fine for me. Select the radio button "Show as posts".
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

All of those search terms work fine for me. Select the radio button "Show as posts".

Changing this button seems to have worked in this case. And while I still don't understand why that button would cause me to get different results, Search is still not working well for me.

Here I have a post with the term "pooped", however I cannot find it using any combination of settings in the search.

When I do a search for "longhorn*" it shows me 23 posts and 10 different threads. Total. Is that right? This happens to me with Camino, Firefox, Safari all running on 10.3.9.

I would very much appreciate some help in these two regards (the search and the images). If it is in fact my machine, is there something I can do?

--B
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Quote:

I would very much appreciate some help in these two regards (the search and the images). If it is in fact my machine, is there something I can do?

The search wouldn't have anything to do with your machine since that's all handled by the AI server, and i doesn't matter what platform/browser is being used to access it. When I use Firefox, I'm using Windows (I use Safari on the Mac), which I suppose could have something to do with it.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

The search wouldn't have anything to do with your machine since that's all handled by the AI server, and i doesn't matter what platform/browser is being used to access it. When I use Firefox, I'm using Windows (I use Safari on the Mac), which I suppose could have something to do with it.

This is very strange, and like I say, I get the same search results on 3 browsers. Haven't tried IE, though. \

--B
  • Reply 7 of 45
    Quote:

Bueller? Mods?

--B
  • Reply 8 of 45
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Search has been borked for a while.

No response from the forum gurus may just be because they can't find your post.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    The forum needs to be re-indexed.

Doing so will mean downtime.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

The forum needs to be re-indexed.

Doing so will mean downtime.

OK. Thanks. You too, Curio.

Hey, why don't you guys reindex when the site's inaccessible, Oh, I don't know, in about 12 days?

--B
  • Reply 11 of 45
    Quote:

OK. Thanks. You too, Curio.

Hey, why don't you guys reindex when the site's inaccessible, Oh, I don't know, in about 12 days?

--B

It's a good thought.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    The search needs to be fixed already. It is very frustrating.

Today I entered "finder" without quotes as a query and got 20 post results in 9 threads.

AI is no longer a valid knowledge base. I can no longer troubleshoot any problems without opening up a new thread. This causes multiple threads to be created on the same topic and tires the AI faithful. I know that I am not the only user who is fed up with this situation. You've had plenty of time to reindex the forum.

Please do something to fix this glaring blot on this forum.

--B
  • Reply 13 of 45
    "rdf"

5 posts in 4 threads, all in 2006.

--B
  • Reply 14 of 45
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    "Saturn"

0 results... as threads, as posts, inside threads, or titles only... all permutations give no result.

I started the Exploration thread in AO (and a Mars thread - which only shows 4 unrelated results from PO??).

Neither (multi-page, 100+ response threads) show in search.

The results page does have ads though.

Nice to know what's important here.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    "Cupertino" did not exist, apparently, prior to 04-27-2006.

"Jaguar" shows up in one post.

The "WTC" is nearly forgotten, sadly, as it only shows up in one PO post.

I will periodically keep you mods updated on the results of my continued investigation into this matter.

Sorry about that, Curio. Saturn was a swell planet while it lasted.

--B
  • Reply 16 of 45
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I pretty much gave up on AI's search function a while ago. I was hoping the re-indexing would work...but it didn't.

fwiw, bergz, I realized the search wasn't working when I searched for a post I made on Foucault's Pendulum as well. Eerie.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Updating to a vBulletin version that isn't four years old might be an idea anyhow. If only for security reasons.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Search Update 05/14/06:

"Wozniak" = 0 posts in 0 threads.

"Quicksilver" = 0 posts in 0 threads.

"creature speakers" = 0 posts in 0 threads.

709: you're freaking me out...

--B
  • Reply 19 of 45
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm cool with a reindex, so long as we get some advance warning. If I know a few days ahead that the site will be down for a specific time period, I'll find something else to do. My suggestion: Do it over a weekend.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    2 weeks ago, I performed (at night) two reindex and it gave no results. I guess we have to move to the lattest version of VB to see an improvement.