Future MacBook Pro Revisions?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What sort of things should the Mac community be looking for in a MacBook Pro revision? I want to purchase one, but I'd like to wait for an updated model. A 15" is what I'm in the market for, but I'd still like to see some changes.

What I'm looking for:

1) A fix to the "whining" reported when the processor is idle

2) A faster, dual-layer burning SuperDrive

3) FireWire 800?

What else should we be expecting/hoping for? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    One thing and one thing only

Merom
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Improved batterytime.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

One thing and one thing only

Merom

Think it's really worth waiting for? I hope to buy a laptop towards the end of the summer (i.e. late August, early September). Do you think Merom will come in such close proximity to those dates that it would only be sensible to wait for it? How much more powerful is the best Merom projected to be compared to, say, the top of the line Yonah? (2.16 at the moment, possibly 2.33GHz in the summer)
  • Reply 4 of 12
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Same answer as every other time.

If you need it and can afford it, buy it.

Otherwise, wait.

It's not rocket science.

I needed a MacBook Pro so I bought one. It doesn't matter if a better one comes out next month, as I needed it now.

If I didn't need it now, I'd have waited.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Animal Farm

Think it's really worth waiting for? I hope to buy a laptop towards the end of the summer (i.e. late August, early September). Do you think Merom will come in such close proximity to those dates that it would only be sensible to wait for it? How much more powerful is the best Merom projected to be compared to, say, the top of the line Yonah? (2.16 at the moment, possibly 2.33GHz in the summer)

>20% increase without change in power requirements.

Intelis saying they expect/hope for Merom for the holiday season. That would probably mean announcement for a MBP beginning of October.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    Well I wouldn't say expect it, but I'm hoping for a Blu-Ray DL drive by early next year. Probably won't happen but I can dream :-P.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Animal Farm

I'm in the same boat as you (or at least purchasing in the same timeframe). So, I'll wait 'til the end of Summer before buying anything at all... As long as Merom didn't get pushed back past September/October, I'll probably wait to buy a Merom-based MacBook--but then, who knows if I'll be able to resist temptation at the Apple Store.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I don't think Merom is as big s deal relative to the current MacBook as the current MacBook is relative to the last generation Powerbooks. Basically, if I understand Intel's pronouncements of the past week correctly, it amounts to 20 percent more speed at the same level of power consumption, along with 64 bit. Even filtering out Apple's absurd benchmarking, with most Universal applications the MacBook is more than 100 percent faster than the Powerbook.

The biggest deal with Merom is that with its 64-bitness it should be able to boot Windows Vista, which the current MacBook never will due to Microsoft's refusal to support EFI booting on 32 bit.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

>20% increase without change in power requirements.

Intelis saying they expect/hope for Merom for the holiday season. That would probably mean announcement for a MBP beginning of October.

Many reports are saying Merom will now be 1Q07 for the mobile part.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Improved batterytime.

What is the battery time for the MacBook Pro anyways?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    I think there will be a bigger BTO HDD - 160Gb
  • Reply 12 of 12
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

What is the battery time for the MacBook Pro anyways?

About 3 hours 15 minutes.