Odd file appearing in Home folder (effects of Mac virus?)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This has happened twice. I thought the first time was a fluke, but now I'm slightly worried. This odd file, entitled "Opera 7 Preferences.new" keeps appearing in my Home folder. What is creating this file, and how can I stop it from happening? I did a Spotlight search, and there's nothing called Opera 7 on my computer.

Are these the signs of the first Mac virus, or is this something a little more negligable?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Opera is a web browser. Try searching for just 'Opera'.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Nothing. Is Opera an application that comes standard on Macs, or would I have had to install it?

The only thing I installed prior to the arrival of this odd document is the update for Shockwave. The last time this doc appeared, I hadn't done anything with Shockwave, and since Opera isn't designed by Macromedia, I'm sure they can't be correlated.

Where could this be coming from?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    It is not included by default.

Does anyone else (spouse, child, sibling) use the computer?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Evan4Maier

The only thing I installed prior to the arrival of this odd document is the update for Shockwave. The last time this doc appeared, I hadn't done anything with Shockwave, and since Opera isn't designed by Macromedia, I'm sure they can't be correlated.

Where could this be coming from?

see here

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=49644

it seems that this file is in fact installed by several Macromedia installers...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Nope. It's my personal computer, is password protected, and was asleep between now and the last time I used it. No one in my family would (or could) have used it, and, as indicated by the "Created at" time marker in the info panel, I was using the computer around the time of the file's creation. Again, earlier I downloaded an update for Macromedia's Shockwave. Could this have lead to the file's creation? Is Opera 7 a component for Macromedia software?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Hmm, I must have replied at the same time as the poster above. I guess that answers it. Luckily, this doesn't sound like a computer-endangering file. Thanks for the help everyone!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Wow, how very odd.

Good catch, FormerLurker.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Hi

The file in question appeared for me when I installed Adobe Creative Suite 2 it seem to have something to do with some part of it. I am not exactly sure where but.

Rob
  • Reply 9 of 9
    hitbyhitby Posts: 38member
    I've found that the file is installed by all macromedia software (Adobe now) I believe it's to do with the flash player being installed for ALL browsers on your system. As you don't have opera installed it just dumps it in your home folder. hth.

Dan