Larger iBook screens

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.macosrumors.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.macosrumors.com/</a>; says

[quote] Q: Bigger iBook displays? - 5:30 PM 11/25 - Q&A

Reader V.S. Moore wrote in with this question.

Hi. Any rumors about whether apple intends to put a 13.x-inch screen in the current iBook? It looks like there's enough space around the current 12.1-inch screen to bump it up to the next size. The current iBook's screen size is a big issue for me. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Good news! With the prices of flat panel displays -- particularly smaller models -- dropping precipitously, Apple hopes to increase the iBook's display size to 13.3 or 13.7 inches in mid-2002, in roughly the same time-frame that it will be increasing the Powerbook G4's wide-aspect display to a whopping 16 inches and perhaps even at long last introducing a flat-panel consumer desktop iMac.

This will likely coincide with the introduction of the G4 processor to the consumer Mac lines as well -- so these upgrades should pack quite a wallop. However, given that these new Macs are more than six months off, one shouldn't be making any plans based around them just yet.

Oh, and for those curious about screen resolution, Apple plans to stick with 1024x768 for the iBook through 2002. The 16-inch Powerbook G4 may get 1600x1024 resolution depending on how display prices move in the next 3-4 months.

<hr></blockquote>

Although I hesitate to believe anything that comes off the MOSR presses, they pose an attractive possibility. Would it be unduly expensive to make the iBook with a larger screen, without changing the overall shape and general size?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    A 13.3" would fit nicely in the current enclosure. It'd just make the border around the screen about as thick as it is on the current PowerBook
  • Reply 2 of 13
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    MOSR is CRAP!

the guy just makes up BS in response to 'reader' mail (which he probably invents himself)

16" powerbook screen hahahaha puhlease! Not going to happen. I'll wager meader's left testicle on it. iBook could get 13.3 to nicely fill out the current enclosure, but if they keep the current res, you don't really gain much. A better update would include support for higher resolutions externally -- if not outright spanning. Say 1600x1200 on an external display with the iBook LCD turned off. That'd be pretty good. The TiBook would, in that case, still retain enough of an advantage as it is capable of outright spanning (two displays -- the 15.2" LCD and an external monitor)
  • Reply 3 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    That would be cool, actually. Say you had an iBook, but when you're at home, you'd like to enjoy a larger screen/higher resolution set-up.

You're basically using the little iBook as the "guts", driving everything, and you just hook it to a display (in my case, the 17" Studio Display at 1280x1024).

Of course, that means you'd have to buy a separate monitor, but it doesn't HAVE to be an Apple one.

And if it WAS, then that's just more sales for Apple.

That's a good idea for people who don't want two computers (laptop AND desktop), but who, while at home at their desk doing serious work, would like a larger work area on screen.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I agree. the single thing stopping me from moving to a new iBook or Ti, it the screen resolution. I don't play computer games (I've got a GBA for that) but I'm used to 1280x1024 and higher work environments. 1024x768 is just to cramped for me (especially with Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator and Dreamweaver open). Most PC laptps now offer 1400x1080 15" screens, and these are amazing!!

I'd love to see 1600x1200 external support for the iBook and 1600x1200 spanning for the PBTiG4. Then Apple gets my 4 grand. Vote with your dollar!!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    The 8MB version of Ti Spanned at 1280x1024. I think that the new 16MB version does indeed go higher. Checking the Apple site right now.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Yep, TiBook supports 1920x1440 externally, or 1600x1200 when spanning. Apple definitely has some feature headroom to allow higher resolutions externally on the iBook.

However, I wonder if Apple will disable the spanning yet again when the iBook eventually gets the Radeon Chipset? I hope not.

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 13
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I posted something like this on MacNN but seem to get little response.

I'd pick up an iBook if I knew the performance when attached to an external was good.

Given the video card, and a G3 processor, how much of a performance hit is there when you connect it to a 15 or 17 inch LCD?

thanks
  • Reply 8 of 13
    You're right!!!

1600x1200 spanning support! Right on. Now all I need to do is get a Ti and a 17" Studio LCD..wait.. I can't connect the two APPLE products can I... that's weird? Apple wants me to buy my 17" LCD from someone else?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I really don't see a bigger iBook screen for a while.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>I really don't see a bigger iBook screen for a while.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah... not until Jan 7, as it turned out.

• Reply 11 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by BerberCarpet:

<strong>

Yeah... not until Jan 7, as it turned out.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

• Reply 12 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    They actually couldn't have put a 13.3 in the iBook without making it bigger, the way I see it.

The lid opens in a way that part of it goes below the plane set by the top of the base. Putting screen there would be a no-no...it would be too low on the lid.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>MOSR is CRAP!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That may be true, but you have to give them points for guessing.

They said a 13.7" iBook would be introduced when G4s are in consumer iMacs, but that the resolution would stay 1024x768. Let's see... so what happened in San Francisco this week?