Has LCD pricing bottomed out?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just wondering how the LCD market is these days. It seems we're getting larger 46" displays in the TV market, and 20 inch monitors from Dell are as low as $350 USD on sale (um...Apple, get your sh*t together and lower your 20 inch!)

I'm tempted into picking up a 32" or 40" LCD TV for the living room but wondering if pricing was going to drop further in the next year or so.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think the LCD manufacturing process has pretty much perfected, and prices are going down, perhaps as low as they will be for a while, because of this. However, I expect pixel density and contrast ratio to increase.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Oh I hope not. They are still much more expensive than CRT's and they better continue dropping in price before CRT's disappear.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    LCD is low-quality, overpriced technology that needs replacing and one day it will be:

http://www.canon.com/technology/display/

Probably not for a year or two yet but it's coming:

http://www.appliancemagazine.com/ama...zone=0&first=1

With those displays, because they have independent emitters, they have no theoretical size restrictions and the quality will still be awesome. Also, they will be cheaper to run and cheaper to buy (eventually) because the manufacturing process is cheaper than LCD.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    But won't these have the same burn in problems as CRTs?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by aresee

But won't these have the same burn in problems as CRTs?

Of course, but so do plasma screens...

Burn in problems are overwhelmed by refresh rates, which are essential for a number of scientific applications, notably crystal structure determination.

Again, you can avoid phosphor burn in by dynamically changing your screen over relatively long periods...
  • Reply 6 of 10
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Built-in screen saving technologies can do a fantastic job of combating burn-in.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    You'll still have your menubar burned in. That's the one thing in Mac OS X that's inevitably present, and bright white no less.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Don't be surprised at further drops. Around 20% over the course of the year wouldn't surprise me one bit. Keep in mind Samsung are talking 50" screens for around $750 in the later part of this decade.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

You'll still have your menubar burned in. That's the one thing in Mac OS X that's inevitably present, and bright white no less.

ummm....I have used CRTs for years, and I havnt seen burn in on anything made in the last 5ish years, I dont know if part of the manufacturing process changed or what but I just havnt seen a good burn in on a PC display since the late 90s (on a CHEAP (think packard-Bell) display made in the mid-90s).
  • Reply 10 of 10
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I have seen a burnt CRT. At a train station they have succeeded in burning some CRTs. No idea how. I've never seen another burnt CRT, even those left running permanently. I suspect like with most things it falls down to just cheap materials.