Windows Alt shortcut on Mac?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm sure many people know that in Windows you could get to a pull-down menu by pressing Alt + the underlined letter in the pulldown menu.

Is there a way to do this on a Mac?

It is very helpful for apps like Excel and Word.

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    You can assign a keyboard shortcut to the menu bar. Usually this is Ctrl-F2. You can then navigate using arrow keys and letters.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Chucker - thanks for the reply - I've actually seen that already, but the CTRL+F2+scrolling trick is nowhere near as fast as (for example) Alt+F+O to open a file.

I'm surprised that somewhere hasn't written some sort of hack that does this!
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by dschamis

Chucker - thanks for the reply - I've actually seen that already, but the CTRL+F2+scrolling trick is nowhere near as fast as (for example) Alt+F+O to open a file.

Um, true, but Cmd-O is faster than that anyway, not to mention more consistent.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Um, true, but Cmd-O is faster than that anyway, not to mention more consistent.

Yes, but there are many other menu functions that don't have a Cmd shortcut assigned. Sure you can assign some of the more frequently used ones, but that requires relearnig keystrokes.

I feel like this is a MSFT way of keeping serious Excel users chained to their Windows machines!
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Yes, but there are many other menu functions that don't have a Cmd shortcut assigned. Sure you can assign some of the more frequently used ones, but that requires relearnig keystrokes.

Which is significantly more efficient than having to pseudo-navigate menus with a keyboard. Menus are meant to be used with a mouse.

Quote:

I feel like this is a MSFT way of keeping serious Excel users chained to their Windows machines!

No, it's Microsoft doing things the Macintosh way, which, being a Mac app, is the right thing to do. In fact, Microsoft has been moving away from their quixotic keyboard menu navigation for a long time now.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Which is significantly more efficient than having to pseudo-navigate menus with a keyboard. Menus are meant to be used with a mouse.

Spoken like someone who has never spent a lot of serious time in Excel.

Chucker - I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but you have to imagine that some users would find this helpful.

If Apple wants to get business users to switch to a Mac, they need to come up with something for this - it just can't be that difficult!
  • Reply 7 of 20
    dkwongdkwong Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Chucker - I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but you have to imagine that some users would find this helpful.

I agree, I find this feature immensely useful and was the first thing I missed moving over to Mac's. The mouse is such an inefficient control device that I try to stay away from it as much as possible -- I'm much faster on the keyboard.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Menus are meant to be used with a mouse.

Only if you're coming from a Mac world. Windows gives you a choice and allows you to use whichever method you're more comfortable with. And in the end, isn't that what a computer is supposed to do?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by dkwong

Only if you're coming from a Mac world. Windows gives you a choice and allows you to use whichever method you're more comfortable with. And in the end, isn't that what a computer is supposed to do?

Too many choices slow you down and distract you from your actual goals.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yeah, but most of the choices are hidden when you're not using them.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    I'm a recent switcher. The lack of the Alt-F in OS-X bugged me at first but since I've gotten used to the Cmd shortcuts it doesn't bother me as much. I find the Cmd shortcuts are also better because there are usually equivalent commands in Windows (e.g. Cmd O in OSX and Ctrl O in Windows).

Now it bothers me that Windows doesn't have the Cmd Q shortcut.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yeah, once you get used to Mac OS X's logical and hierarchal way of looking at windows and programs, Windows is kinda frustrating.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Too many choices slow you down and distract you from your actual goals.

For you. For me, more choices allow me to do things my way and not the way someone else thought was a good idea. I'm mainly a keyboard guy and the lack of all-purpose keyboard shortcuts is very frustrating. Every time I have to take my hands off of the keyboard and reach for the mouse is time lost.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

For you. For me, more choices allow me to do things my way and not the way someone else thought was a good idea. I'm mainly a keyboard guy and the lack of all-purpose keyboard shortcuts is very frustrating. Every time I have to take my hands off of the keyboard and reach for the mouse is time lost.

i'm very keyboard-based and haven't found one thing in OS X that requires me to use a mouse. hunt around and create custom shortcuts if you have to.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *ahem*

Ctrl-F2.

Start typing the menu item you want. It jumps to it immediately.

Ctrl-F2, F, down arrow or return, S == File menu -> Save...

You don't have to use the arrows to go through them one by one.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

For you.

No, for everyone. Billions and billions of Usability research can't go wrong.

Quote:

For me, more choices allow me to do things my way and not the way someone else thought was a good idea.

You just don't know what's good for you.

Quote:

Every time I have to take my hands off of the keyboard and reach for the mouse is time lost.

Ah, yes. The illusion of efficiency.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Spoken like someone who has never spent a lot of serious time in Excel.

As someone who once tried to spend a lot of "serious time in Excel" I can say from experience that phrase is an oxymoron. A little free association: serious Excel work; square peg, round hole; trying to cut with a blade too dull; using a flyswatter on an elephant; etc.

(I fled, scarred for life, to a shell.)

Edit: If you find yourself spending an inordinate amount of time trying to make Excel do things that don't come naturally to it, it might be worth your while to see if there are tools better suited to your tasks.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

No, for everyone. Billions and billions of Usability research can't go wrong.

You just don't know what's good for you.

Ah, yes. The illusion of efficiency.

Oh well, it seems pointless to continue this debate, since you seem to know what's best for everyone.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

*ahem*

Ctrl-F2.

Start typing the menu item you want. It jumps to it immediately.

Ctrl-F2, F, down arrow or return, S == File menu -> Save...

You don't have to use the arrows to go through them one by one.

Kickaha - Thanks for this - I will give this a try, which is not perfect, but a serious step forward!
  • Reply 20 of 20
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yeah, it lets you just type the menu/item you want. Very slick. The visual feedback is nice too, for when you're not sure which one you want. If you want to bail out, hit Esc. If you have selected a menu, and want another one instead, hit up-arrow to move focus back to the menu bar.

Like you said, not perfect, but a heck of a lot better than arrow navigation.

And, once you get used to the app you're using, you can learn the command keystrokes. Even *gasp* faster than Alt-foo, Alt-blah.

If there isn't already a command keystroke for a menu item you use a lot, then make one. It's simple, supported, and inifinitely customizable. That's being a Mac power user.