2G Macbook Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
so when do u guys think the second generation macbook pros are coming out. the only thing from stopping me from getting one now is the possibility that a new one will roll out as soon as i get it and the return policy runs (just like how it was for me when the ipod video came out). i think that what they would imporove in the second versions is a slightly longer battery life and definitely smaller power brick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Late Summer, I suppose.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kritikal

so when do u guys think the second generation macbook pros are coming out. the only thing from stopping me from getting one now is the possibility that a new one will roll out as soon as i get it and the return policy runs (just like how it was for me when the ipod video came out). i think that what they would imporove in the second versions is a slightly longer battery life and definitely smaller power brick.

Smaller power brick? Don't count on it. Besides, is the size of the power brick really that important? Have you seen most PC power bricks? The MBPs is still significantly smaller.

And I concur with Chucker. Late summer for Rev.B MBPs.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    dansgildansgil Posts: 62member
    In the Rev. B, I'm hoping for 100gb standard HDD in the lower model, 120gb in the higher model - with 160gb BTO. Also 1 gb standard RAM in both models. A better video card would be great. So would longer battery life and a DL Superdrive.

What I want most - LOWER PRICES! How about $1699 fro the lhigh-end and $2199 for the low end. That leaves the 17" to be sold at $2599.

-DG
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Hey what is the return policy?

Anyways, I would say summer too. About 6 months after.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    When Merom is available to Apple
  • Reply 6 of 44
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

The release is scheduled for September 2006.

If you want to see a processor roadmap, I recommend this here:

http://www.mikeshardware.co.uk/RoadmapQ306.htm

It's detailed and been accurate, more so than the big sites. I'm sure similar info is on Intel's site, but this list includes more (You can find Merom info under the "09" heading).

P.S. Just thought I should mention I have no affiliation with that site... looked fishy when re-reading it.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Myst

The release is scheduled for September 2006.

If you want to see a processor roadmap, I recommend this here:

http://www.mikeshardware.co.uk/RoadmapQ306.htm

It's detailed and been accurate, more so than the big sites. I'm sure similar info is on Intel's site, but this list includes more (You can find Merom info under the "09" heading).

P.S. Just thought I should mention I have not affiliation with that site... looked fishy when re-reading it.

Very helpful site, thanks!
  • Reply 8 of 44
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    I was just about to plonk down the cash for MBP - dont get me wrong awesome machine compared to my 1.25G Al PB. But, since MS Office and some Adobe apps i use are not UB - i think i might perservere with my G4 till later in the year. I get a Rev2 MBP (esp if its a 64bit merom) and Universal Apps?. Im thinking there are quite a few users hanging out a little?.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

I was just about to plonk down the cash for MBP - dont get me wrong awesome machine compared to my 1.25G Al PB. But, since MS Office and some Adobe apps i use are not UB - i think i might perservere with my G4 till later in the year. I get a Rev2 MBP (esp if its a 64bit merom) and Universal Apps?. Im thinking there are quite a few users hanging out a little?.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I usually upgrade every year and a half just because my job allows me too. But my 1.5ghz 15" PB G4 is still running great and I'm a bit sketchy on the new MBPs. I would rather wait for a Rev. B product that is more stable and has more of the apps I need offered as UBs. I think it's going to be Rev. C for the Merom though.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I agree. Then the low end is filled with core duos. The core solo isn't a performance upgrade from the g4 chip it replaces.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanh

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I usually upgrade every year and a half just because my job allows me too. But my 1.5ghz 15" PB G4 is still running great and I'm a bit sketchy on the new MBPs. I would rather wait for a Rev. B product that is more stable and has more of the apps I need offered as UBs. I think it's going to be Rev. C for the Merom though.

Ditto.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I am waiting for a Rev. B of a 17"+ w/Merom...

Hopefully w/onboard FireGL or QuadroFX graphics...

Workstation on-the-go kinda unit...!
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

I am waiting for a Rev. B of a 17"+ w/Merom...

Hopefully w/onboard FireGL or QuadroFX graphics...

Workstation on-the-go kinda unit...!

I think you're going to have a bit of a wait. I wouldnt expect Rev B to have the Merom unless Apple gets them early from Intel and/or the Rev B product is a bit further off than typical Apple revisions. I'm thinking Rev C for the Merom for sure, but you never know.

In response to workstation graphics, I wouldnt hold my breath. While I can only assume that Apple will put them in a portable at some point, I doubt it will be this soon. The cards are too big and too power hungry as of now. I would expect ATI Crossfire or Nvidia SLI well before that, although they are both quite power hungry for now.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    They may one way design mobile workstation chips, but as it stands now it would consume too much power. I'll stick to my predictions in the past of Rev B getting Merom this september at the Paris event.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Im not being held up by any concerns of Rev A, a Core Duo 2G is more than sufficient to handle my needs for several years.- so im not waiting for Rev B per se, im waiting on UB apps, which as it stands will likely be better timing for a Rev B - October?.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Myst

They may one way design mobile workstation chips, but as it stands now it would consume too much power. I'll stick to my predictions in the past of Rev B getting Merom this september at the Paris event.

Quote:

I think you're going to have a bit of a wait. I wouldnt expect Rev B to have the Merom unless Apple gets them early from Intel and/or the Rev B product is a bit further off than typical Apple revisions. I'm thinking Rev C for the Merom for sure, but you never know.

In response to workstation graphics, I wouldnt hold my breath. While I can only assume that Apple will put them in a portable at some point, I doubt it will be this soon. The cards are too big and too power hungry as of now. I would expect ATI Crossfire or Nvidia SLI well before that, although they are both quite power hungry for now.

I think you both misunderstand me...

I am talking about a Rev. B of a 17" (+) MacBook Pro w/Merom, meaning WHATEVER is the Rev. B once Apple starts shipping units w/Merom...

As for workstation graphics, both ATi & nVidia currently have mobile solutions...

So no big deal there...

Of course, if I could get the same, but in a tablet form, so much the better...!
  • Reply 17 of 44
    I haven't seen the mobile workstation cards, are they thin enough for Apple? I would be the true Second Generation MacBook Pro will have the dual-tablet implications from Apple patents, but not the Rev B of the Gen One MacBook Pros. WWDC 2007 is my bet for the true 2nd Gen.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

I think you both misunderstand me...

I am talking about a Rev. B of a 17" (+) MacBook Pro w/Merom, meaning WHATEVER is the Rev. B once Apple starts shipping units w/Merom...

As for workstation graphics, both ATi & nVidia currently have mobile solutions...

So no big deal there...

Of course, if I could get the same, but in a tablet form, so much the better...!

Ah. My appologies. Ya, that would be a good plan; those are probably going to fly and hopefully 10.5 will be out and SHOULD support Intel 64bit. But a long wait. Mid to late 2007, perhaps?
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

Ah. My appologies. Ya, that would be a good plan; those are probably going to fly and hopefully 10.5 will be out and SHOULD support Intel 64bit. But a long wait. Mid to late 2007, perhaps?

Nah. Merom should be starting out in units announced @ MWSF2007...

So Rev. B 17" w/Merom, no later than MWNY2007...

I am hoping for a MacPad mini (8" touchscreen) come April 1, 2006...

That & a Mac mini as an entertainment center should tide me over for a bit...
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Where did all the talk of a "MacPad" come from? Besides the gesture input patents, is there anything that is substantiating to back this up besides saying "Apple HAS to be working on a tablet type device"?