Wrong RAM speed bad for computer?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an iMac G4 1ghz, and ordered a 1Gb RAM stick from OWC for the external RAM slot. I ordered the PC2100 RAM for the iMac, and it came in with the OWC sticker saying PC2100. After installing the system identified the RAM and ran just fine, 1.25Gb, but didn't seem to be making the speed difference I would expect going from 512 to 1.25Gb. Using system profiler the RAM was identified as PC2700. I opened the iMac back up and took a more careful look at the SO-DIMM, and the chips say PC2700. So would using this RAM be bad for the computer in the long run, or should I return it for the correct speed?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I'd return your purchase for the correct speed. Unless the technologies have changed, I believe that the slowest chip will dictate the usable speed of the others. In other words, the PC2700 will work at the speed of the 2100. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

And even if this isn't the case, it's still best practice to make sure that everything matches up when it comes to something as crucial as RAM. Why sacrifice speed and potential hardware oddities if you don't have to, right?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    If your imac uses PC2100 ram, the PC2700 ram will work fine. DDR ram is backwards compatible. You will notice the speed difference more if you have lots of stuff open.