UNIX quicktime question....

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If I wanted to open a movie in terminal, I would write...

$ open movie.mov

...and it would be opened by quicktime nice and easily. Which is good. But how do I find out what flags need to be entered to make it open it in full screen? I tried

$ man Quicktime\\ Player.app

... but it is coming up with no manual for Quicktime player. So how do I go about find ing out flags for the app and/or for others?

At work we use '-fs' with mPlayer, but I'm not sure if that is some script that someone in the building wrote.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Any flags you were to give to open would be gobbled and interpreted by open.

open is just a CLI replacement for double-clicking the icon in the Finder - you can't specify fullscreen when doing that, so you can't do it using open either.

'open foo.mov' says "Go open foo.mov with whatever application you think is right."

mPlayer is a CLI tool with a GUI wrapper over the top, so it has strong flag support.

'mplayer -fs foo.mov' says "mplayer, I want you to open foo.mov, and do so in fullscreen."

With open, you don't know what app it's going to use, you're asking it to select one. <-- document centric

With the second form, you're telling the app to open a particular file, so you can send it flags. <-- application centric
  • Reply 2 of 4
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Well then how do you tell quicktime to open a file... not using 'open'?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I suggest you make an AppleScript that accepts a movie and opens it in QuickTime Player and makes it enter full screen mode. Then you should be able to open your movies via the command line and pass them to said script.

There's probably other ways but I'm sure this would work.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Cool, I'll try that. Thanks.