Buying PPC or Mactel

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm gonna buy a new Mac this summer.

I have a lot of OS 9 applications that I love. In my previous job we had tons of Mac support and I piled up a lot of OS9 apps that work very well for me. In my current job there is zero Mac support and I have no access to any new Mac software.

As I think about buying a new Mac, getting the latest intel Macs doesn?t seem to make sense for me because it means giving up all my great OS9 software.

I want a new, faster Mac but I think I?m going to grab a PPC G5 shortly after the tower intel Macs are announced/released so I can still use all my great software. Am I crazy for thinking of buying less than the very latest so I can still use my old OS9 apps?

The current and future intel Macs sound good, but I?m not ready to give up my OS 9. Is anyone else in this bind? \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    rara Posts: 623member
    What Classic software are you using?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by baygbm

In my previous job we had tons of Mac support and I piled up a lot of OS9 apps that work very well for me. [snip] because it means giving up all my great OS9 software.

I'm trying to be kind here... When you use the terms 'piled up' and 'my' in the phrases above I have a feeling you might be using them very loosely.

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 5
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

What Classic software are you using?

Yeah, really. . . I can understand that you want to stay PPC, but staying classic is a whole 'nother story.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    OT, but to be frank, OS 9- blows. I booted OS 9 on my TiBook 867mhz to play some Playstation games using Connectix GameStation... wow, what a shock to the system after using X.4!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Here's one for the *other* camp. You can get the PPCs relatively cheap, especially by shopping refurb. Get a PPC now, fall in love with Tiger, and in two years - when everybody has Universal versions of their apps - go mactel. Just my $0.02.