Can't connect to internet after using library wireless

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi-

After using my iBook G4 at NYU's library and connecting to their wireless signal, I now can't connect to any other wireless signal. NYU told me I have to go to a class where a tech will intruct me how to reconfigure, but I am getting on a plane to Florida tomorrow and can't go (class is Thursday).

Any ideas what is up? My Airport is receiving plenty of signals, and I can connect to them, but can't get online. When I go to System Prefs - Network, my Airport port is yellow - says I'm connected but not active. Can anyone help? I've alreayd tried turning Airport off and then back on, restarting computer, etc.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grimson

Hi-

After using my iBook G4 at NYU's library and connecting to their wireless signal, I now can't connect to any other wireless signal. NYU told me I have to go to a class where a tech will intruct me how to reconfigure, but I am getting on a plane to Florida tomorrow and can't go (class is Thursday).

Any ideas what is up? My Airport is receiving plenty of signals, and I can connect to them, but can't get online. When I go to System Prefs - Network, my Airport port is yellow - says I'm connected but not active. Can anyone help? I've alreayd tried turning Airport off and then back on, restarting computer, etc.

Thanks!

In the Aitport TCP/IP Control Panel try changing the IPv4 settings to Manually, hit Apply Now, wait a few seconds then change them back to Using DHCP and Apply Now again.

It may just be stuck on a self generated IP and this should break that lock if that is the case. Also make sure you are doing this when you are receiving the network you want, otherwise you could get stuck again.