Analyst predicts new Macs will arrive without media event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Going against the grain, analysts for UBS Investment Research on Tuesday issued a very brief research note, suggesting new Mac products in the June quarter, but predicting Apple is not likely to hold a special media event to introduce them.

The reliability of the analyst's predictions are currently unknown.

"We continue to believe that Apple will introduce new Intel-based iBooks (important for education) and a larger MacBook Pro in the June quarter," analyst Ben Reitzes wrote. "We forecast Mac units to improve in fiscal third quarter (June) to -1 percent year-over-year from -9 percent year-over-year in fiscal second quarter."

Additionally, the analyst wrote, "We still believe that a new video iPod, download service and new iPods are coming this year by the fall."

Shares of Apple fell over 3 percent (or $2.07) in later afternoon trading to $61.92 as investors reacted to the UBS research note.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    I also predict that a new iPod will be released some time this year, and like the last iPod, it will also have video capabilities.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Sheer nonsense. These releases bolster their stock and they'll let everyone know. If these lame-ass "analysts" are wrong, do they get fired?... One can only wish.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Since there was a small news conference when the iBook came out I would expect Apple to invite a few of the press in to look at its replacement, with the 17 MBP thrown in if ready.

My guess is that the full video iPod will be released when ready and when there are agreements in place with the studios to download the movies - and a sufficient number of movies loaded into the servers. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if there hasn't been a lot of activity for a while on getting older movies into digital formats for transfer to the servers very rapidly.

Both WWDC and the Paris show would be good targets if the 30th Anniversary isn't getting the video iPod.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Give me a break.

Kasper and Co.,

Why do you guys even bother writing up this rubbish these analyst spew? If I remember correctly, this same guy predicted the iBook and Mac mini at Macworld with DVR and all that other nonsense that--is now obvious to all of us --was made up, false information. He also predicts new iPods twice in the same sentence! Read what it says. I guess he really believes Apple will release another iPod. OH MI GOD! Treat it as Gospal! UBS SAYS NEW MACS AND NEW IPODS COMING BUT LIKELY NO MEDIA EVENT AFTER SOME HARD THINKING AND EXPLOSIVE DIARIAH IN THE ANALYST WORLD HEADQUARTERS.

I can't believe investors are so stupid.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

I can't believe investors are so stupid.

Analysts and and their money are soon parted. Same to investors too.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    kind of annoying how appleinsider posts a new thing every time one of these people farts too.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    My cat's breath smells like cat food.

(edit: removed meaningless analysis of this "news")
  • Reply 8 of 25
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icibaqu

kind of annoying how appleinsider posts a new thing every time one of these people farts too.

Exactly.. what's that smell? Oh yea, that's right
  • Reply 9 of 25
    When your climbing up a tree and it's running down your knee

Diarrhoea, Diarrhoea, diarrhoea

When your sitting in the gutter and your eating bread and butter

Diarrhoea, Diarrhoea

When your walking in the the loft and your tread in something soft

Diarrhoea, diarrhoea

it isn't very fun when you've got a runny bum

Diarrhoea,

Diarrhoea
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Shares of Apple fell over 3 percent (or $2.07) in later afternoon trading to $61.92 as investors reacted to the UBS research note.

um no. investors were reacting to the DRM bill ratified by the National Assembly of France today.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by dillyo1001

um no. investors were reacting to the DRM bill ratified by the National Assembly of France today.

im not so sure, but u are welcome to your opinion. i still call foul on the analysts for this nonsense which has costed me $4000.

look at the hour to hour ticker:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AAPL&t=1d

iPod DRM news came out around 10-11:00 east coast time. the no Apple event research note came out around 12:30.

and look here it is in crystal clear writing:

"Apple Shares Slip on Downbeat Report"

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060321/apple_mover.html?.v=1

you are still entitled to your opinion tho, smarty pants. no one cares about the DRM. read the PiperJaffray report. France counts for less than 2% of apples music biz
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by icibaqu

And it's even more annoying how MacRumors does their own version of the story 20 minutes after Appleinsider posts one of these things. That site's no more than a mirror of Appleinsider these days (yet for some reason, their stories always seem to generate three times as many comments as the ones here.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by andrewjnyc

And it's even more annoying how MacRumors does their own version of the story 20 minutes after Appleinsider posts one of these things. That site's no more than a mirror of Appleinsider these days (yet for some reason, their stories always seem to generate three times as many comments as the ones here.

Yeah, it's annoying. That I agree. But when you really look at the comments they have one MacRUmors, it's like 1 word/1 line stupidity "Oh i hope its true." "Oh this is is not true," "damn i just bought a Mac 4 years ago," etc. Those stupid comments can add up real fast.

They just have a ton more members than the AppleInsider forums. But most of those members are just trendy idiots, with absolutely no insight to offer. They just like seeing their name in the forums.

I have always found AppleInsider forum members to be much more helpful and insightful. That's why we come here, no? (I say this all excluding this thread which has several references to diariah and farting, but I think that's just a few investors making fun of the analysts and pissed off today about all that is happening with the stock).

Anyway, the best thing to do is start recruiting some of the better, more insightful posters from around the Mac community sites to join us here on the AI forums. Leave the one-liners to rack up comment counts over at MacRumors. who cares? MacRumors is just a big blog. It adds no value. Everyone with a brain knows that, so I wouldn't get your panties in a knot over this.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Yeah, it's annoying. That I agree. But when you really look at the comments they have one MacRUmors, it's like 1 word/1 line stupidity "Oh i hope its true." "Oh this is is not true," "damn i just bought a Mac 4 years ago," etc. Those stupid comments can add up real fast.

They just have a ton more members than the AppleInsider forums. But most of those members are just trendy idiots, with absolutely no insight to offer. They just like seeing their name in the forums.

I have always found AppleInsider forum members to be much more helpful and insightful. That's why we come here, no? (I say this all excluding this thread which has several references to diariah and farting, but I think that's just a few investors making fun of the analysts and pissed off today about all that is happening with the stock).

Anyway, the best thing to do is start recruiting some of the better, more insightful posters from around the Mac community sites to join us here on the AI forums. Leave the one-liners to rack up comment counts over at MacRumors. who cares? MacRumors is just a big blog. It adds no value. Everyone with a brain knows that, so I wouldn't get your panties in a knot over this.

The worst morons are on Macdailynews.com.

It doesn't help that the guy who runs the site is, hinself, a fanboi. He makes more asinine comments than I have ever read here.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I say this analyst is dead wrong, all the new intel computers will come with events! Are they suggesting that apple will not hold an event for their Birthday, 30th Birthday!

They are crazy to think that!

"We predict that apple is not likely to hold a media event to launch it's intel based iBooks".

I'm sorry but that's weak. So if they are wrong they can always say they predicted it wasn't likely, and if they are right they can say we told you so!

Looking forward to the party
  • Reply 16 of 25
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    these guys dont actually get paid do they?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I am ready to put the money where my mouth is.

If Apple releases or presents any new or "real" updated hardware (mac or iPod or "iPhone") from now and until April 7th 2006 I will give $50 to the person who in return will give me the largest sum if they fail to do.

Who wants to paly along and what are you prepared to risk?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I am ready to put the money where my mouth is.

If Apple releases or presents any new or "real" updated hardware (mac or iPod or "iPhone") from now and until April 7th 2006 I will give $50 to the person who in return will give me the largest sum if they fail to do.

Who wants to paly along and what are you prepared to risk?

Modify that to reflect that the largest sum should equal or exceed your $50.

As others are making those statements, they should be taking an equal or greater risk than you.

If the greatest sum is $1, it isn't much of a risk.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    After careful consideration, and after reviewing the fact that Apple makes money by selling products and that consumers like to see products improve over time, I shall here state that Apple will release several new products over the next several years.

z
  • Reply 20 of 25
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    The reliability of the analyst's predictions are currently unknown.

"We continue to believe that Apple will introduce new computers of the plastic kind (important for computing) and a larger computing thingy sometime after that," analyst Ben Dover wrote. "We forecast computer units to improve in fistcal third quarter (June) to -1 percent year-over-year in a years year from -9 percent year-over-year in that year in fistcal second quarter."

Additionally, the analyst wrote, "We still believe that a new thingymajigg, and new whatyamacallits are coming this year by the fall."

Predictions, predictions \ they're always useful.