Microsoft will bring graphics destined for Windows Vista to the Macintosh

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What is this?

Vista graphics tools to reach Mac

What problem is MS it trying to solve with this? I'm asking because I don't get it and would like someone here who knows about it to explain it to me in laymen's terms. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Is this something we want?

Vista graphics tools to reach Mac

So many Vista icons are copied from OS X that no one will notice.

--B
  • Reply 2 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I'm convinced that 95% of MS is a pretty honest bunch, not at the least bit insidious. This is why their developer tools are actually really good. The other 5% is pretty bad though. I'd argue that the existence of the Vista toolkit for mac is simply a necessary internal project that was released to the public by the "other 5%" in hopes that groups porting apps from windows to mac would continue to use the Vista UI. It's a lot like the .NET strategy. . . . and it's probably going to flop just like .NET.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    It is microsoft's attempt to place its new brand identity on the macintosh...

It is bizarrely Machiavellian....
  • Reply 4 of 16
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    No doubt the real reason for the delay of Vista.

Doesn't sound like it will be that good anyway. From the article referenced above:

Windows Presentation Foundation Everywhere is a subset of the full user interface tool available in Windows Presentation Foundation on Windows and, as such, will not enable the same graphical richness as Windows Vista

• Reply 5 of 16
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    That CD music icon existed way before Jobs even saw OSX in his sleep. Win95 already had that icon for CD music.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    In other words, it's just your typical ZDNet article distorting the truth or trying to make something out of nothing. That's what I had presumed but wasn't sure. Oh ya, Vista's graphics coming to the Mac. Why is it that they always have it backwards? It can't be stupidity can it?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Well, apparently Vista has brought its graphics to Mac application websites, at any rate.

The Shiira site is a straight up Vista theme.

Possibly a Front Page template?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I personally like the Vista theme more right now, even if it's an Apple-like theme. Glossy black is very nice, Apple uses it on their websites but never in their UI, except in limited usage in some Pro apps.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Well, apparently Vista has brought its graphics to Mac application websites, at any rate.

The Shiira site is a straight up Vista theme.

Possibly a Front Page template?

I must say that theme is very nice indeed. But we all know it was born from Aqua.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I personally like the Vista theme more right now, even if it's an Apple-like theme. Glossy black is very nice, Apple uses it on their websites but never in their UI, except in limited usage in some Pro apps.

Yeah, but you don't count anymore. . .
  • Reply 11 of 16
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

What problem is MS it trying to solve with this?

It's a replacement for Flash. After MS convinces everyone to install the WPF/E plugin, then they can sell their design tool to Web designers instead of Flash. People with C# and Windows programming experience will probably find WPF/E more familiar to program than Flash.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

It's a replacement for Flash. After MS convinces everyone to install the WPF/E plugin, then they can sell their design tool to Web designers instead of Flash. People with C# and Windows programming experience will probably find WPF/E more familiar to program than Flash.

Business as usual.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Flash sucks. At least the tools for it do. Unintuitive and messy to use.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Yeah, but you don't count anymore. . .

Why's that?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

That CD music icon existed way before Jobs even saw OSX in his sleep. Win95 already had that icon for CD music.

Windows 95 had a somewhat similar icon. A CD with a grouping of three notes.

It was quite pixilated and not as symmetrical.

You cannot argue that Apple's influence had on MS cleaning up its icons making them slick graphics with animation.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Indeed.