How To Read Books

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I've started a similar thread on reading techniques over at AppleNova. Now I'd love to hear what you guys have to say on the topic as well.

So, do you have any great studying and reading techniques to share? Do you speed-read or have another method that have increased your intake of facts or understanding of a subject? Have you read any books on the art of reading that helped you in your academic endeavors? Any help along these lines would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I bought "How To Read a Book" about five years ago but I've not got around to reading it yet. It's only funny because it's true...

--> Stephen
  • Reply 2 of 7
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stephend

I bought "How To Read a Book" about five years ago but I've not got around to reading it yet. It's only funny because it's true...

I own that one too. I haven't gotten around to reading it either. But I have only been in possession of mine for a few months.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Slowly with coffee in a comfortable place. I love to read outside.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    If it's not printed on a computer screen, newspaper, or magazine, I don't read it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    If there ain't no pretty pictures in it then I ain't interested.

• Reply 6 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I don't get it - how many ways are there to read a book? Could you give an example of the range of possibilities?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    I find that after about 30mins I start zoning out and reading things over and over without registering them.

The best environment for me is somewhere quiet and comfy, and every time I start zoning out I get up and move around for a minute or two. When you come back to it you can think much better.. Well I do.

Speed reading and all that jazz never appealed to me, I just read normally, reading isn't a race, and I want to enjoy everything the author has written.

Jimzip