Pasword protecting application?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi, Is there a way to lock an application? I want to lock certain apps where you can enter a password to launch it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    How about to put it somewhere under your profile, so others cant see it? Or restrict it's permissions, so that only you had rights to run it?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    plasmaplasma Posts: 74member
    I hid it but its easy to find with spotlight. I leave my comp on all the time and rather not get used to loging out every time I leave it. I need some way of locking just one application or any other creative way if possible.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    You could use a disk image. Look around the forums for info on how to do it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by plasma

[I leave my comp on all the time and rather not get used to loging out every time I leave it.

No need. Just turn Fast User Switching on, then turn a screen saver on to just a few minutes, and set it to require authentication.

Then others can log in on their own, but can't access your stuff.

Or go with the encrypted disk images approach.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by plasma

I hid it but its easy to find with spotlight. I leave my comp on all the time and rather not get used to loging out every time I leave it. I need some way of locking just one application or any other creative way if possible.

If it's inside your a folder inside of your home folder called "Applications" (OS X will recognize /User/you/Applications as an application folder like /Applications) and inside a folder that you've protected so that others can't read it (select folder, Get Info, open Ownership and Permissions section, open Details sub-section, select "Access: No Access" for Group and Others), other users on your system shouldn't be able to find out that it exists, let alone run it, even with Spotlight.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    You could use an App like Ghost Sphere to hide the App in a folder. Ghost Sphere requires a password to activate itself, and then you can make things visible again as you wish. There are a couple of other similar Apps on the Apple downloads pages.