Happy 5th Birthday Mac OS X!!!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Ah yes ... can you believe it was 5 years ago today that Apple introduced Mac OS X to the world??? Seems like it's been a lot longer...

Anyway, they guys at Ars Technica wrote a pretty good piece on Apple and Mac OS X - where they've been and where they're going. It's definitely worth reading...

Ars Technica - Five Years of Mac OS X

I have to say, I'm not old enough to remember the first Macs back in the mid 80's. My first experience with an Apple came about 8 years ago on a PowerMac 6500/225 that ran Mac OS 7.6.1. We still have that PowerMac (and the StyleWriter II that came with it) and it was upgraded to OS 8, OS 8.5,then OS 9 and finally OS 9.1. I remember when OS X first came out. I heard it was really buggy and didn't care too much for it since we couldn't install it on the old PowerMac. It'd be another 2 years before I found out what I was missing.

I bought an iMac G4 in the summer of 2003 with OS X 10.2.3 installed and since then I've absolutely fallen in love. It has completely changed the way I use my computer.

What are your thoughts on the article? I think Siracusa was pretty dead on with this one. I enjoyed it very much.

Long Live OS X!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Only 5 years? Wow, it does seem longer. I've been a Mac fan since I used ClarisWorks back in junior high to help make the school newspaper. That was...um...'93 or so.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Those who were using the public beta or developer releases have a some extra months of somewhat ghetto Mac OS X love.

But even then I knew it was good stuff. I don't know what I'd do without the Terminal!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Looking forward to Leopard! Exciting times!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    The halcyon days of the Public Beta.