Briefly: Intel Apple gadgets, MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.4.6

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
New Intel Apple gadgets?

A new News.com blog posting alludes to excitement among Intel executives about the way Apple is "thinking different" about the chip maker's technology and the possibility for future Apple gadgets using Intel technology.

"That's really what's interesting about Apple, is they look at our technology in a very Apple way," said Deborah Conrad, vice president and director of Team Apple at Intel.

Conrad, who is a member of Intel's "Apple Group" formed last November, said its unlikely that an Intel chip will turn up inside an iPod any time soon. But when it comes to future gadgets other than the iPod, "that's where we get very, very excited," she said.

Reliable sources have previously told AppleInsider that Intel is playing integral role in the development of Apple's first Intel-based Power Mac.

MacBook Pro now at 1-3 days

Wait times for Apple's MacBook Pro professional notebooks through the company's online store took another step in the right direction on Friday.

Both the 1.83Ghz and 2.0GHz models now reflect wait times of 1-3 days, down from 3-5 days on Wednesday.

Gradually improving MacBook Pro wait times are the latest evidence to suggest Apple will reach an overall supply and demand balance on the computers sometime in the first half of April.

New Mac OS X 10.4.6 seeds

Development of the Apple's Mac OS X 10.4.6 Update is now fast approaching a public release. According to tipsters and several reports already published on Web sites, the company this week seed Mac OS X 10.4.6 build 8I1116 (Intel) and Mac OS X 10.4.6 build 8I124 (PowerPC).

These latest seeds reportedly list few if any known issues, depending on distribution and release notes accompanying the various distributions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Sounds to me like a Mac tablet! Or maybe not...
  • Reply 2 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Not sure about a MacTablet any time soon, 2007 maybe.

I bought more shares in apple yesterday, if I had more money I would spend it on apple shares because by December the shares will split!
  • Reply 3 of 26
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I love those integral rolls. Very tasty.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    I'm thinking intel in a video iPod. I highly doubt they'd replace the iPod with a "real" video iPod. Just release a new video product in addition to the iPod IMHO.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    APPLE IS DOOMED!!!!

• Reply 6 of 26
    I agree, it's an insanely great time to buy! I just picked up another 50% of my prior position. This brings my average cost per share up to $35.59. This small window here will be the last time you see it under $60 until it splits.

Viva Jobs!
  • Reply 7 of 26
    INTEL was TEH DOOMED!!!!! APPLE IS SAVING THEM!
  • Reply 8 of 26
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCentric

Um, sure . . .
  • Reply 9 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCentric

It's a good thing you did that all in caps. I might have missed it.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Missed what?
  • Reply 11 of 26
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Promising news from Intel. I can hardly wait.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Apple should buy Intel!

ps: In no time Steve will get Intel to start putting "Inside Apple" stickers on every one of their chips.

• Reply 13 of 26
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    It's good that the MacBook Pros are more readily available.

I wonder if 10.4.6 incorporates a fix for the 2nd processor whine when it's in sleep cycle?

Anyone with a MBP and a developer seed care to test? (Come on, you know you'll have to reinstall when you reload XP anyway!)
  • Reply 14 of 26
    tobiastobias Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by michaelb

It's good that the MacBook Pros are more readily available.

I wonder if 10.4.6 incorporates a fix for the 2nd processor whine when it's in sleep cycle?

Anyone with a MBP and a developer seed care to test? (Come on, you know you'll have to reinstall when you reload XP anyway!)

With what money should apple be able to buy intel? :-D

but it's a nice dream ;-) :-)

greez
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tobias

With what money should apple be able to buy intel? :-D

but it's a nice dream ;-) :-)

greez

This is really very simple. I'm surprised you don't get it!

Apple could afford to buy Intel with all the cash they will have in hand from MS's bank accounts, after they buy them!
  • Reply 16 of 26
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

Sounds to me like a Mac tablet!

And this is thinking different than Windows tablets? No, I think the Intel guys are excited because Apple is having good ideas.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Apple should buy Sony!
  • Reply 18 of 26
    It just reminded me of this funny posting.

http://www.crazyapplerumors.com/?p=41

• Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

It just reminded me of this funny posting.

http://www.crazyapplerumors.com/?p=41

They always make up the very best rumors.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    The thing that Apple brings to Intel is a partner in development. In the PC world Intel, AMD, and Microsoft develop technologies and other companies make the products based on their reference designs. This means that Intel is doing a large portion of the development. Apple is different in that they develop their own products and markets, they don't wait for Intel or Microsoft to hand them the designs.

Think about it, how much money did Intel put into VIIV to get it to this point? How many VIIV computers are out there, and how many other products that are neccessary for the platforms success (namey TVs and Sterios) are out there?