G5 Powermac - Randomly shutting down

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Heyas- First of all let me say that appleinside was a huge help last year when was purchasing this powermac. So thanks! Has been a wicked machine!

Anyway- this isn't too much of a problem yet, though want to get on top of it before it does become an issue-

Occasionally, perhaps once a week, even less, my pm shuts down by itself. I have no 'updates' running and am hardly doing anything that intensive at the time. ie- it just shutdown before and I wasn't even in the room, and only had safari, mail, excel and dreamweaver open.

The only extra hardware hooked up is an external fireware hdrive.

Any thoughts? Whats a good way to run a hardware test on osx? Perhaps it's overheating?

Cheers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Overheating generally looks more like funkiness followed by a freeze, but you can download Temperature Monitor, a nice little freeware utility that gives you a desktop temperature readout from the same sensors that control fan behavior.

You can look at CPU, disc, graphics card, logic board temps, as well as interesting things like fan RPM and CPU voltage.

You might find out some kind of repeatable condition is linked to your shutdowns, which goes a long way to figuring out how to proceed.

Your Mac also came with a "Hardware Test Disc", which you should run (follow the on screen instructions), and which might help you identify the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    Well, have tried mutliple hard ware tests and monitored how hot its getting in there - none of which has helped. Though it does heat up somewhat at times- but doesn't explain this random shutting down.

Would you guys recommend trying this reseting the PMU?

http://www.felipecruz.com/reset-pmu-...ile-ram-g5.php

Thought would ask before diving into unknown territory.

(Rang Apple and they weren't too much help)

Cheers-

quamb.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tag me backtag me back Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quamb

Well, have tried mutliple hard ware tests and monitored how hot its getting in there - none of which has helped. Though it does heat up somewhat at times- but doesn't explain this random shutting down.

Would you guys recommend trying this reseting the PMU?

http://www.felipecruz.com/reset-pmu-...ile-ram-g5.php

Thought would ask before diving into unknown territory.

(Rang Apple and they weren't too much help)

Cheers-

quamb.

Why not? I mean your computer's ----ed anyway. Might just be build quality though. I've had a new G5's power supply catch fire on first startup.

If it's still under warranty though, return it first. Of the dozen or so PM G5s I've bought, about a quarter of them seem to have had major HW faults from factory. I suspect it's the Aust/NZ distributors not minding their return-stock too well... I just feel conspired against. The failure rates of new apple equipment that I've bought is waaayyyy through the roof compared to the American experience. If it wasn't for this, I'd be way happier with the entire apple experience. Sorry, just whinging. But yeah, check your warranty, and use it if possible. Thennn reset your PMU, as it may be a warranty voiding thing.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    [realized i was thinking of something else entirely...]