Password Protect Files

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
How do u password protect individual files upon open. I know how to do it in word and with pdfs in the applications but is there a way to do it within mac os x for any file?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    You can always put them on password protected disk images
  • Reply 2 of 9
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

You can always put them on password protected disk images

go on...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    In Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility, create new disk image and turn on the security, It asks you to give password for the image, don't include that to your keychain, so it will always ask for password when accessed. Then just copy those files in it.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    No no NO!

Crypt. It's so bloody easy.

--B
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I'm looking for a more on the fly solution...

like...password prompt to open.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

I'm looking for a more on the fly solution...

like...password prompt to open.

The encrypted disk image is nearly that. When mounting, you get a password prompt. While mounted, you can access the contents. Once unmounted, they're locked away again.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

The encrypted disk image is nearly that. When mounting, you get a password prompt. While mounted, you can access the contents. Once unmounted, they're locked away again.

I guess i'll use that if i can't find anything cleaner...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    There was an old small application called Lame Secure. This can lock folders and always when u try to open them it asks for the password wich can not be stored in the keychain.

It has a small shortcoming in the fact that the application can be overpassed using the terminal. I said small because this can be avoided by simply locking the "Utilities" folder too or even the "Terminal" (it can lock applications too).

The application is good and I haven't ancountered any errors last year when I was using it for about 5 months at work to protect my personal stuff.

Now I use a disk image (somebody else said here about this) because is far more reliable and there is no way to overpass it. The disk image must not be sparse and must be 128 bit encrypted.

• Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artanis

There was an old small application called Lame Secure. This can lock folders and always when u try to open them it asks for the password wich can not be stored in the keychain.

It has a small shortcoming in the fact that the application can be overpassed using the terminal. I said small because this can be avoided by simply locking the "Utilities" folder too or even the "Terminal" (it can lock applications too).

The application is good and I haven't ancountered any errors last year when I was using it for about 5 months at work to protect my personal stuff.

Now I use a disk image (somebody else said here about this) because is far more reliable and there is no way to overpass it. The disk image must not be sparse and must be 128 bit encrypted.

Question about Sparse vs Fixed size: how do you make this distinction when creating a .dmg from a folder? Is it the same as selecting read/write or read only, or am I just not seeing a sparse vs fixed option?