When will OS X Server go Universal?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Or has it already without me noticing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    No, it hasn't. I assume they're waiting for the new Xserve.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well it'll never go *UNIVERSAL* since it won't run on every chip in existence...

Oh sorry, chucker, did you want to say that?

• Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

No, it hasn't. I assume they're waiting for the new Xserve.

Any news on when that will come?

While on the topic of Xserves, i'm considering getting an Xserve as the main hub for my home computing needs (three Macs + 1 MS Windows machine). Would i be fine with just a cluster node, or is it impossible to run just a cluster node without a "head node"?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Well it'll never go *UNIVERSAL* since it won't run on every chip in existence...

Oh sorry, chucker, did you want to say that?

I'm working on the MOS 6502 port as we speak, duh.

• Reply 5 of 27
    Screw that, until it runs on the PDP-8, ENIAC, and a Zuse III, it's not 'universal', man.

Ya gotta stop drinking that Cupertino Kool-Aid.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    I hear they're also working on a special version of the Enigma.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Yeah, but that still leaves Babbage's toy...

and *when* are they going to get to the abacus? Hmm? I won't buy a Mac until I can run it on beads! YOU HEAR ME APPLE?!??
  • Reply 8 of 27
    I want Multiversal Binaries.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I believe I made that joke before.

and if I didn't I regret it terribly
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Oh great, then in ten years, we get Crisis on Infinite Platforms, then an attempt to fix *that* with NULL Point, and then eventually just something called Infinite Binaries that cause everything to jump forward in theory, but really just muck up everything again.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    composercomposer Posts: 212member
    I thought this was for the Apple Universe, or is this some sort of cross-over deal with DC? What would happen if Steve Jobs was the new Green Lantern? I mean, with that ring he could cast his RDF over the whole planet!

Johnathan Ive is Robin to

Phil Schiller's Batman

Any more?
  • Reply 12 of 27
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    No, those are Fan-Coded Binaries.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I'm shocked that the Xserve wasn't one of the first to be released with Intel chips. Most of the things you would use an Xserve for would not be dependant on 3rd party stuff, DNS, DHCP, mail, FTP, OD, file/print serving, etc. I've broken it down to 2 reasons:

1. A server OS must meet much more stringent stability requirements and testing before being released with new hardware.

2. They are waiting for a yet to be released Intel processor.

The Server software and Xserve platform will be released in tandem, no question.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

1. A server OS must meet much more stringent stability requirements and testing before being released with new hardware.

That's a good point, but the defining one is the other:

Quote:

2. They are waiting for a yet to be released Intel processor.

That's just it. Intel's current server CPUs are, shall we say, rather mediocre, both when compared to the G5 as well as when compared to AMD's Opteron. This will change dramatically with Woodcrest.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RoguePat

Any news on when that will come?

While on the topic of Xserves, i'm considering getting an Xserve as the main hub for my home computing needs (three Macs + 1 MS Windows machine). Would i be fine with just a cluster node, or is it impossible to run just a cluster node without a "head node"?

Explain "main hub". With you be hosting a dns server? website?, email?, vpn?, network user accounts, open directory?
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I'm shocked that the Xserve wasn't one of the first to be released with Intel chips.

I am not. I think Apple has made it clear that the Enterprise market is not high on their list. Besides, the Mini and MBP were probably easier to re-engineer than the XServe.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

That's just it. Intel's current server CPUs are, shall we say, rather mediocre, both when compared to the G5 as well as when compared to AMD's Opteron. This will change dramatically with Woodcrest.

Rather mediocre? I'd say that the Xeon is *very* mediocre. There's a reason for the mass migration to the Opteron.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

Rather mediocre? I'd say that the Xeon is *very* mediocre. There's a reason for the mass migration to the Opteron.

Mediocre in what way? Should Apple keep the G5 alive in the XServe?
  • Reply 19 of 27
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Yeah, but that still leaves Babbage's toy...

and *when* are they going to get to the abacus? Hmm? I won't buy a Mac until I can run it on beads! YOU HEAR ME APPLE?!??

What no props for my boys Hollerith and Jacquard!?

Come on y'all.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    Screw this! I'm not buying another Mac until Mac OS X is completely rewritten in Cocoa. No more of that Carbon shit!