Ballmer Hints at a iPhone device.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
CNN interviewed Ballmer and he hinted that MS would be offering an MP3/Phone device within the next 12 months. What does this mean for Apple, if anything? Link below.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...3041/index.htm

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Would you buy a phone from this guy???

http://www.ntk.net/media/developers.mpg
  • Reply 2 of 22

Perhaps it will run on sweat.

• Reply 3 of 22
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

The two videos I've seen of him are hilarious to the point of almost being scary. The guy looks 'postal'.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

The two videos I've seen of him are hilarious to the point of almost being scary. The guy looks 'postal'.

If he was at any other company he would have been sacked already!

The guy's mental. Microsoft is a holy joke!

Oh yea buy the way the title of this thread is misleading, and It'll probably get locked soon.

"Ballmer Hints at a iPhone device"
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

If you had to run windows all day long and apologize for it you would be postal too.

Perhaps he is a closet mac user.

• Reply 6 of 22
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Its kind of sad that from the subject of the thead I just knew a link to that video would be in the second post.

Its getting a bit long in the tooth, people.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Its kind of sad that from the subject of the thead I just knew a link to that video would be in the second post.

Its getting a bit long in the tooth, people.

Slow news day. That's all I got.

How about some fake invites?

Or, an elevator shot of something?

Anyone?

Anyone?

\ \
  • Reply 8 of 22
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Yes, but only if I can get a "Developers!" ring-tone.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Oh yea buy the way the title of this thread is misleading, and It'll probably get locked soon.

"Ballmer Hints at a iPhone device"

How? He said "in five years are people going to carry two devices?.... Expect to see announcements from us in the next 12 months." Sounds like they plan to introduce a Phone/MP3 player combo. Don't take my word for it read the article for yourself.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

How? He said "in five years are people going to carry two devices?.... Expect to see announcements from us in the next 12 months." Sounds like they plan to introduce a Phone/MP3 player combo. Don't take my word for it read the article for yourself.

An "iPhone" is a hinted suggestion of an apple device, not a Microsoft one!

While we are talking about this, Microsoft as usual is all talk. Apple don't talk, they do! For a start where's Microsofts iPod! Any company can say in the future we will do this and we will do that! Besides all that, that man's a nut-job!
  • Reply 11 of 22
    I would have edited the title if it wasn´t for the fact that noone can decide what the iPhone is suppose to be. So it being a possible MS product fits right in.

Is it:

1) A mobile phone, Apple style?

2) A VoIP via 802.11?

3) A wireless handset connecting via iChat?

4) Something MS will be making?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Fair point.

We can assume however it will be an Apple product if it does ever appear though! That's why I thought the heading was a bit confusing.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

I would have edited the title if it wasn´t for the fact that noone can decide what the iPhone is suppose to be. So it being a possible MS product fits right in.

Is it:

1) A mobile phone, Apple style?

2) A VoIP via 802.11?

3) A wireless handset connecting via iChat?

4) Something MS will be making?

Sorry. Title should've been "Ballmer hints at an MP3/Phone Device" Your questions are the the ones that I have. While Ireland seems to want to dismiss the article as a lot of bluster, I wouldn't be so sure. While I'm not sure MS will actually deliver an attractive product, I would bet that they bring something to market. Should Apple respond?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Wow, this is pretty far into the thread to have nothing but "Ballmer is a monkey" and "I quibble with the semantics of your post" responses.

Focus, people. Crazed speculation doesn't write itself, you know!

Now then, I think it highly likely that MS will release, with much fanfare, a reference design for a phone exactly like the MS powered phones already on the market, but with music playback pushed up in UI prominence. Possibly some additional functionality that nobody wants but which disproportionately increases complexity.

They will give it some kind of vaguely aspirational name, like "Arcadia" or "Parabola", which the hardware partners will promptly change to "PXE13548".

After weeks of teaser announcements and portentous "leaked" videos, anticipation will be at a fever pitch. There will be much talk of an "iPod/PSP/al Qaeda killer", with approximately four millions articles being written based on on some variation of the premise "Is the iPod finally going to be dethroned/crushed/sent to the ash heap of history/replicate the market slide of the Mac on account of that asshole Jobs failed to open up the OS to licensees?".

Upon release and the realization that there really isn't anything very interesting or new we will shrug and go back to waiting for the next iPod killer.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Wow, this is pretty far into the thread to have nothing but "Ballmer is a monkey" and "I quibble with the semantics of your post" responses.

Focus, people. Crazed speculation doesn't write itself, you know!

Now then, I think it highly likely that MS will release, with much fanfare, a reference design for a phone exactly like the MS powered phones already on the market, but with music playback pushed up in UI prominence. Possibly some additional functionality that nobody wants but which disproportionately increases complexity.

They will give it some kind of vaguely aspirational name, like "Arcadia" or "Parabola", which the hardware partners will promptly change to "PXE13548".

After weeks of teaser announcements and portentous "leaked" videos, anticipation will be at a fever pitch. There will be much talk of an "iPod/PSP/al Qaeda killer", with approximately four millions articles being written based on on some variation of the premise "Is the iPod finally going to be dethroned/crushed/sent to the ash heap of history/replicate the market slide of the Mac on account of that asshole Jobs failed to open up the OS to licensees?".

Upon release and the realization that there really isn't anything very interesting or new we will shrug and go back to waiting for the next iPod killer.

Who offers the phone handsets? Tradition wireless carriers or something else? VoIP? Lots of unanswered questions.
  • Reply 16 of 22
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Who offers the phone handsets? Tradition wireless carriers or something else? VoIP? Lots of unanswered questions.

Maybe this is the answer you're looking for!

They do it themselves!
  • Reply 18 of 22
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Same carriers that offer MS smartphones even now. Because this "exciting new category buster/iPod killer/changes life as we know it" will be exactly that, an MS smartphone.

Have we learned nothing from the Origami nonsense? MS is largely a marketing enterprise, repackaging the stuff they managed to come up with back when they were a technology company.

They can make all the videos they want about happy, smart, hip people empowered to do cool things everywhere all the time by MS "integration", but they're ain't no such animal. MS doesn't have enough control over hardware to make everything work together, and they apparently have lost control of their software processes as well.

That's leaves them with "initiatives" that define desirable market segments first and try to shoe-horn in the tech after the fact.

Windows and Office dominate because of monopoly forces and the "good enough" factor. Xbox is a stand alone initiative that doesn't have to deal with all the cruft, so they do a pretty good job.

What else do they have? Tablets? Media Centers? On what evidence would we expect MS to make a truly innovative and desirable portable device?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    And continuing that, why do people insist Apple should go the same way and make tablets, phones, game consols, etc?

Because Apple will make it right[/Jedi hand wave]?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

And continuing that, why do people insist Apple should go the same way and make tablets, phones, game consols, etc?

Because Apple will make it right[/Jedi hand wave]?

The thruth is music to my ears!

Completely unrelated, am listening to the latest engadget podcast as i'm typing, boy they're always talking about M$.