If you could name only 1 thing you wanted to see in Leopard, what would it be!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Right here's the thing you can only name one thing, but let's pretend that one thing will be in Leopard for real! It can be a change you want, or a compltely new thing!

I know most creative people will have a list of things, but the idea is if you can only name one thing, you will thing much much harder about what you want that one thing to be! Remember you're in control! The thing you want will actually be in Leopard for real. Give it your best shot!

My one thing is: the equivalent to Skypeout in iChat.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Shipping Tomorrow.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Lets play a game. I start:

F
  • Reply 3 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Shipping Tomorrow.

Good choice!
  • Reply 4 of 23
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    orum locked?
  • Reply 5 of 23
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    a scalable gui.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Naked Chicks.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Full, open (non-proprietary) and cross-platform communication support:

VOIP, videoconferencing, chatting made just as easy as emailing: it works with everybody independent of operating system or software.

How could apple achieve this:

1. Completely open up the iChat protocol for chatting and videoconferencing and have the specifications accessible to developers. Any IM/VOIP program out there can add support for this platform.

2. Release a version of iChat on all major platforms (windows and Linux) that is compatible with all webcams and headsets.

3. Release an iPhone that connects wirelessly to any computer (Mac or PC, windows and linux) with wifi with an open communication protocol.

The videoconferencing/chat/VOIP world really is the future waiting to happen. THE reason it is not happening is that is a mess with dozens of platforms, protocols and standards. Most are proprietary, none really work together. The company that solves this will be my hero. I hope it will be apple! 8)
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by dutch pear

Full, open (non-proprietary) and cross-platform communication support:

VOIP, videoconferencing, chatting made just as easy as emailing: it works with everybody independent of operating system or software.

How could apple achieve this:

1. Completely open up the iChat protocol for chatting and videoconferencing and have the specifications accessible to developers. Any IM/VOIP program out there can add support for this platform.

2. Release a version of iChat on all major platforms (windows and Linux) that is compatible with all webcams and headsets.

3. Release an iPhone that connects wirelessly to any computer (Mac or PC, windows and linux) with wifi with an open communication protocol.

The videoconferencing/chat/VOIP world really is the future waiting to happen. THE reason it is not happening is that is a mess with dozens of platforms, protocols and standards. Most are proprietary, none really work together. The company that solves this will be my hero. I hope it will be apple! 8)

Here here!
  • Reply 9 of 23
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Here here!

I haven't given up on your ability to learn, so: http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mhear.html

As for the thread: resolution-independent UI. Yeah, I know, that was too easy.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Home on iPod.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Lets play a game. I start:

F

T
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by dr. zoidberg

Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

F

T

F?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    FTFF.

There, I said it.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    "Oh no, he di-int!"

• Reply 15 of 23
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Easier sharing of folders on a system. Make it as easy as sharing iPhoto or iTunes libraries.

Windows still kills Mac OS X on sharing of Folders and Browsing of Network shares.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

Easier sharing of folders on a system. Make it as easy as sharing iPhoto or iTunes libraries.

Windows still kills Mac OS X on sharing of Folders and Browsing of Network shares.

What exactly do you mean?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Some of the rumors about virtualization built into Leopard sound interesting. It would be great if Macs became true cross-platform, OS-agnostic systems.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Naked Chicks.

• Reply 19 of 23
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

What exactly do you mean?

There's 2 parts. The first being the rather broken "Network Browser" in the Finder. When working with windows shares you see the machine, you then click connect and most of the time you get a strange vague error:

(This error mostly comes up because the server doesn't haven any visible shares, in Windows adding a $ at the end of a share name keeps you from browsing it.)

The delete Alias button doesn't work gives you a permission error and the Fix Alias button wants you to select another file from the files system to connect it to.

The error should read "This server doesn't have any shares that can be browsed, if you know the name of a hidden share enter it below and we will connect to it"

Also I don't like how the SMB/AFP "Pick a share" dialogs are different from each other (SMB shares are listed in a drop down and you can only connect to one at a time while AFP shares are shown in a list and you can cmd/shift select and mount more then one at a time). Also whats with the dialog, show them in the Finder window.

You can also easily re-autheticate as a different user and get different shares on an SMB server so you can have multiple shares connected as different users on the same server. With AFP servers you can't re-autenticate as a different user without first disconnecting all shares first.

The 2nd part is ease of sharing random folders and applying permissions to them. In Windows and even OS 9 you could just pick a folder and share it out. It was really easy in OS9 you could even create ad-hoc users and groups that were only for that share. In Windows you just say share this folder and it can be accessed from the Network. In OS X Client you can only share out whats in the "Shared" folder and if you login as yourself from the other machine you end up getting your entire Home Directory.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    All Carbon yanked with its Cocoa counterparts to reduce latency across the board.