Lost my iphoto library

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I had temporarily moved my iphoto library to a firewire drive and iphoto opened while the drive was unmounted. I'm assuming iphoto created a new library when it opened and I can't find this library to get rid of it so that I can get iphoto to open the old library.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

I had temporarily moved my iphoto library to a firewire drive and iphoto opened while the drive was unmounted. I'm assuming iphoto created a new library when it opened and I can't find this library to get rid of it so that I can get iphoto to open the old library.

Thanks

The iPhoto Library should be in /Users/youracct/Pictures/iPhoto Library.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    You may have to add a pic or two to iPhoto so that it creates some links in the default location, then delete the new library. When you re-launch it, it'll tell you it can't find the library and ask you to re-locate it. You can then navigate to your FW drive.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

Thanks

Btw, do you want to keep the iPhoto library

onto the FW drive? I wouldn't recommend that

in particular. Everytime you launch iPhoto

without previously mounted the FW drive you will

get the same trouble all over again. Not a good

idea, if you ask me.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Quote:

You may have to add a pic or two to iPhoto so that it creates some links in the default location,

This totally did the trick thanks!

Quote:

tw, do you want to keep the iPhoto library

onto the FW drive?

I agree...I actually just had it on their while I was reformatting my hard drive.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Ok--

8) Don't forget to back up.

In fact, I supposse that the reason that you store your iPhoto Library on the external HDD in the first place is so that you can share it with others when you travel who are always all are using the exact same version of iPhoto, and you probably back it up to your computer's HDD or over the local area network or to each other in case one of them fails.

It must not be because you old Mac ran out of space. Because otherwise you should obviuosly keep your iPhoto Library on an available local network share, or upgrade your internal HDD, or upgrade your Mac. Especially if you have other people's photos on there.

I'm actually pretty sure from what you wrote that it is the latter and that you never back up any of your files, but if anyone else reads this there is a chance I will get flames for trying to infer too much. In any case, please reorganize you files so you can simplify your backups.