>500Gb drives, when?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
does anybody know when drives bigger than 500Gb are likely to be announced/released?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    You could always RAID two 250 drives but that may not be the best solution. Anyway, >500 probably won't happen until perpendicular recording is perfectet?

What is perpendicular recording you ask? I must refer you to this link.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    chopper3chopper3 Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

You could always RAID two 250 drives but that may not be the best solution. Anyway, >500 probably won't happen until perpendicular recording is perfectet?

What is perpendicular recording you ask? I must refer you to this link.

Thanks for that, I want to record all my DVDs onto one big array of disks, but I'm going to need about 5Tb, I don't want to buy and maintain eleven SATA/FW drives, but if there is going to be 600/750Gb drives in the next year or so then I may as well wait and have much less of them.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Can I have some of your money?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Can I have some of your money?

My idea is that it would be self-funding, I could sell the DVDs after ripping them

With 500Gb disks I'd need 11 (or 12 I supposed) 500Gb disks for a RAID 5 config = about £2,500

Enclosures, about another grand or so

Bunch of cables, maybe another FW card or something similar in SATA-flavour, about £500.

Total, about £4k

Then about a thousand DVDs, should get around £4 each (maybe more).

I would happily daisy-chain them all with FW off one or two channels as I would only need DVD read-rates. I could then have a Mac Mini under my tv for one-off DVD playing/new-disk-ripping, play the old DVDs via FrontRow and play any "obtained" films too.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    There is no real limitation to going beyond 500GB.

Current drives today hold up to 130GB per platter. Seagate and Hitachi today could come up with a 600GB drive simply by adding another platter.

However from their POV why do that when you can milk 500GB for a while. I do expect to see 600GB drives next year. 500B drives are already $298 with no rebates. I expect to see them at $250 and up by summer's end. Creating enough room for higher 600GB + drives next year.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    the InPhase holographic drives will break 500GB soon enough.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

the InPhase holographic drives will break 500GB soon enough.

PROPER spendy though
  • Reply 8 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I wouldn't say that's a very good idea. I'd rather have a thousand DVDs than a RAID array. Hard drives are not reliable. I'd personally wait for HD or fluorescent media and that way you will be able to get maybe 10-20 DVDs per disc, which will cut your collection down to just 50-100 discs. You can even keep two copies of everything just to be safe.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

I wouldn't say that's a very good idea. I'd rather have a thousand DVDs than a RAID array. Hard drives are not reliable. I'd personally wait for HD or fluorescent media and that way you will be able to get maybe 10-20 DVDs per disc, which will cut your collection down to just 50-100 discs. You can even keep two copies of everything just to be safe.

A raid 5 or a raid 0 is notably safer than a DVD for long term survival. This is especially true of a home-burned DVD which depending on how you store it can have a shelf life of as little as 3 years.

Corey

PS: Comp USA has Maxtor 500gb drives on sale for $249.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Corey

A raid 5 or a raid 0 is notably safer than a DVD for long term survival. This is especially true of a home-burned DVD which depending on how you store it can have a shelf life of as little as 3 years.

Corey

PS: Comp USA has Maxtor 500gb drives on sale for $249.

Thanks for that, I've had over 15 years experience of RAID systems and have to agree with you.

Also I can get that drive for about £180 which is broadly the same price as that, nice to see. I was looking at those miniG FW800 enclosures, they look nice.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by Corey

[B]A raid 5 or a raid 0 is notably safer than a DVD for long term survival. This is especially true of a home-burned DVD which depending on how you store it can have a shelf life of as little as 3 years.

Possibly but let's say you spill coffee on your raid array and it blows out all the drives or maybe you have a lightning strike or some sort of power surge. Maybe a nuclear weapon is detonated and an EMP sweeps past or a flood or maybe OS X decides to screw up the filesystems with a file overlap. Maybe you knock over the array and it breaks all the drive heads. Loads more things could go wrong with HD than DVD, it always depends on how the media is treated.

As for home burned discs having a short shelf life, I might agree with you there. I have had some data loss with CDs (3 CDs out of 200 had some read errors - they were probably 4 years old) but they were cheap discs. I use higher quality DVDs now and they are holding up well. Plus, you can always burn multiple copies.

DVDs also never run out of space and you can take the discs with you when you go on holiday.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    I'm a bit old school, and whilst I rip all of my CDs, I still keep the CD in my CD racks which I'm rather proud of. Just just my $0.02.

Anyway, if I understand you correctly, you have bought lots of films and now play to rip then sell them? (Apologies if I mis-read). Is no-one else seeing the copyright implications here? Just me? Ok. \