Confused: Is my Dual 1.8 G5 PCI-E or normal PCI

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I bought 2 PCI cards today - Just standard old PCI cards and neither fits.

I have a feeling I PCI-E slots - is that correct?

Your help = Appreciated!

Cheers

Trevor!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    It's PCI-X, and they should fit...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

It's PCI-X, and they should fit...

Hmmm. I am sure I am doing something wrong.

Here is a photo of a PCI card that looks similar in profile (The gold part) to mine: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights....eatm25mbit.jpg

See where the first main plug is - well it seems it should have a small gap in it like the other end of the card.

I hope this makes sense.

Its been years since I've bothered with PCI cards and the like.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member

that's an (old) 5 volt pci card.

i guess there are only 3.3 volt pci-x slots in that particular powermac?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    The first generation Dual G5 1.8 has PCI-X and 8 RAM slots. The second generation has PCI and only 4 RAM slots.

The third generation has PCI Express slots (also, the CPU is faster)

tubgirl is right. Older PCI cards are not compatible.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I am pretty sure all but the last release PowerMac's have 1 PCI-E and 3 PCI-X slots. I actually recently upgraded to a PowerMac Quad because I needed to use two PCI-E cards, so I have seen the inside of both within the last week.

By the way, I am also selling my old one. I need to list it on eBay but haven't had time yet. It is a Dual 2.0 with 2gigs or RAM and an Alchemy TV tuner card. Email [email protected] if you are interested, I took picures before I packed it up in the box. It would save me a lot of time and you a lot of money if I didn't have to list it .
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jpennington

I am pretty sure all but the last release PowerMac's have 1 PCI-E and 3 PCI-X slots. I actually recently upgraded to a PowerMac Quad because I needed to use two PCI-E cards, so I have seen the inside of both within the last week.

It's easy to confuse a 16 lane PCIe slot with an AGP slot even if you have seen both side by side, they look pretty similar.

PowerMac G5 didn't have any PCIe until the "Late 2005" (dual core) models, before that it was 3x PCI/PCI-X and 1x AGP.

PMG5 Early 2005

Late 2005