Timbuktu :::

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Was wondering if anyone had any comments about timbuktu? I'm wondering if I should opt to use this program, or just use GoToMyPC.......

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by Badtz:

<strong>Was wondering if anyone had any comments about timbuktu? I'm wondering if I should opt to use this program, or just use GoToMyPC.......</strong><hr></blockquote>

Timbuktu is a geat program, thought I haven't had the oppurtunity to use GoToMyPC so I can't really comment. On a side note Remote Desktop seems pretty damned cool so far, but it wont connect to a piece.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Perhaps we should start a Petition asking Apple to add Wan support to Apple Remote Desktop. Who's up for it?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    how's timbuktu on mac os x?

any downfalls of timbuktu?

also,

can you use timbuktu on the mac to access a pc? & vise versa?

how does timbuktu compare to pcAnywhere?

also, if you are controlling a computer, are your movements replicated on that computer's screen?

[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: Badtz ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 6
    has anyone tried gotomypc eitehr?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Badtz:

<strong>how's timbuktu on mac os x?]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Pretty much like OS 9, a dirty little carbon port that has a few minor visual bugs. The great thing is that when someone is viewing your system, the screen doesn't flash when you login, and the system doesn't feel slowed down while someone is watching. It makes working with people remotely a lot more tolerable.

The thing that will kill you is over a WAN connection when connecting to another OS X box... it takes forever to draw all the Quartz effects like drop shadows. Because the drop shadow changes when a window goes inactive, so TB2 has to remotely redraw that. Same goes for people who have dock magnification on... it's a real pain to wait for TB2 to remotely redraw the updates to the dock. I expect in future releases this can be optimized somehow.

[quote]<strong>any downfalls of timbuktu?]</strong><hr></blockquote>

You can't talk to anything other than a PC or a Mac. VNC, which is an open source remote screen controller, runs on pretty much every operating system. If you're all into dealing with Open sourced goodness, it wouldn't hurt to check it out.

also,

[quote]<strong>can you use timbuktu on the mac to access a pc? & vise versa?]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep.

[quote]<strong>how does timbuktu compare to pcAnywhere?]</strong><hr></blockquote>

No clue. What is PCAnywhere?

[quote]<strong>also, if you are controlling a computer, are your movements replicated on that computer's screen?]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, they are replicated. The movements don't appear as fluid, so, for instance, it probably isn't optimal for letting two people edit, say, a Photoshop canvas at the same time.

If the computer you're connected to has a user 'attached' that is trying to do something, his commands will always override the commands that the remote user is trying to execute.

Hope that helps...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    whoa! thanks jack, much answered!