Switcher that recently purchased a MBP

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm absolutely in love with my MBP, never before have I felt such a connection to a computer - scratch that, an inanimate device. I was extremely lucky in the fact that it works flawlessly - no "noise" that plagues many of the MBPs, and, unlike any other computer I've ever used this one has YET to have any problems. No crashing, no bugs, just like Apple says everything works flawlessly. I have three questions, though, and if you all could help me that would be amazing.

1) What Word Processing program do you suggest I use? I purchased Microsoft : Office and I want to make sure that's a good one. Does Apple make one? I'd assume it's a much better program.

2) Once when the 'pinwheel' came up, it was up for a good minute. I'm wondering if there's any way to stop loading/performing an action when the pinwheel is up.

3) Are there any must-have apps I should use for my MBP?

I apologize if these questions are asked on the board 200x a day, but I looked around and didn't see any. Thanks for reading, all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Hey, hey! Glad you're enjoying it. I have one on the way. You're correct in assuming that Apple has a word processing program. It's called Pages, and it's half of the iWork '06 bundle. The other half is Keynote, a PowerPoint competitor. I , too, am a semi-recent switcher. Let me preface this by saying that I pride myself on using the best program, not just the program that is by the company I'm partial to.

In addition, a write on a very frequent basis. With that said, I have never gone back to Microsoft Office after using Pages. It can export and import from any filetype I've ever needed (including the Word standard) and is just an ease to use. It's so much nicer to compose with it.

Keynote, also, is a powerhouse. Apple's included graphics and styles are abundant and they make for nice presentations, though the highest res Keynote presentations will be dumbed down in a transfer to the PowerPoint filetype. But who needs that? While presenting with Keynote, you can use your Apple remote to switch the slides (ala Steve at Macworld). It's very cool.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by stopping an action when you have the pinwheel going. It's only happened to me when something's running in Rosetta, and usually, it's just sorting out some processes. It shouldn't be happening too often, but it's completely natural and I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

Finally, I suggest you really try out some of Apple's included apps. I have some odd obsession with planning my schedule (although said plans always go awry), and iCal is a breeze to use. Some users here say Quicksilver is a great free download, although I don't use it myself. If you use iChat, I'd download Chax (just google it), a universal binary plugin that allows for tabbed chatting (sort of like tabbed browsing in Safari).

Enjoy the Mac!
  • Reply 2 of 42
    You need:

Adium X (Chat Program)

Quicksilver (Most useful program ever made)

Office 2004 is the best word processor/spreadsheet, but Keynote wins handily over PowerPoint

PithHelmet

Fink

Xcode IDE

VLC

Solitaire XL

Growl

Azureus

The pinheel pops up because of a lack of RAM. I'd strongly reccomend 1GB, 2GB for smooth Rosetta performance. The Mac OS X equivlent to Ctrl+Alt+Del (I'm sure you know that well) is Cmd(The apple)+Option+Esc.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    tdnc101tdnc101 Posts: 109member
    Thanks so much guys, both posts were extremely helpful. Downloading now.

Anyone else think something is missing?
  • Reply 4 of 42
    I agree with theapplegenius, despite our difference of opinion in terms of word processor. I will say, however, if you want powerful spreadsheets, Office is for you. iWork is oddly lacking in that department.

I'd also like to reiterate what he's said: the more RAM, the better.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    my mind boggles why you havent tried the FREE appleworks app?? look in your applications folder rather than going off and spending money on M$ product.

as said get more RAM
  • Reply 6 of 42
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trendannoyer

my mind boggles why you havent tried the FREE appleworks app?? look in your applications folder rather than going off and spending money on M$ product.

Traditionally, AppleWorks were included only with the consumer Macs (iBook, iMac). Has this changed with the Intel machines? Anyway, I don't see AppleWorks in the included software with a MBP.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trendannoyer

as said get more RAM

I never got it on my 1.5 year old 12" PowerBook...
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Traditionally, AppleWorks were included only with the consumer Macs (iBook, iMac). Has this changed with the Intel machines? Anyway, I don't see AppleWorks in the included software with a MBP.

ahh that explains that then!

sorry i just assumend it would be there, seems silly not to include it in a more expensive option computer tho'

you have to wonder at the choices companys make sometimes...
  • Reply 9 of 42
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Traditionally, AppleWorks were included only with the consumer Macs (iBook, iMac). Has this changed with the Intel machines?

My MBP does not have Appleworks preinstalled, rather trial revs of iWork (Pages & Keynote).

My guess is that Apple is phasing out Appleworks in favor of the evolving iWork suite. I expect a spreadsheet package to come at some point, but Apple may be pursuing a slow path politcally, to keep MSFT developing Office for OS X?
  • Reply 10 of 42
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    Maybe a bit off topic...

Can I install iLife '06 that came with my macbook onto my dual G5?

I looked into the cd's that came with my macbook, without succes...
  • Reply 11 of 42
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drazztikka

Can I install iLife '06 that came with my macbook onto my dual G5?

It would be considered a pirated installation.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Traditionally, AppleWorks were included only with the consumer Macs (iBook, iMac). Has this changed with the Intel machines?

It has, now Apple don't include Appleworks with any of their machines!

The Mini I bought came with an iWork trial and an Office 2004 trial installed. I deleted both and installed Office 2004 that I own (Student and Teacher - thanks for the 3 license keys MS).
  • Reply 13 of 42
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I really like Pages and Keynote. MS word is in a no-mans land of sorts as it tries to do all sorts of things, but it does them all poorly and just makes more work for people who have to undo what people have done in Word. Keynote is also really good, and they both export very nicely to PDF.

A vignette on the worthlessnes of MS Word.

List of Characters --

Corporate Idiot #1 [CI#1]

Layout Design Consultant [LDC]

Print Shop employee [PSE]

Scene 1: The Phone Call

Corporate Idiot #1 has a document that he needs to be printed onto 10,000 promotional flyers.

[CI#1] I need to print 10,000 promotional flyers. I have the *design*.

[LDC] Sure, just email the files over. Please send EPS and TIFF files only, along with all text and your design concept.

3 minutes later

[LDC] Do you have EPS and TIFF files of your work? All you sent me was this Word File.

[CI#1] The graphics are in the Word File.

[LDC] If you want me to do this, I'm going to have to redesign all the graphics and layout, since Word is useless to me. I can do it, but unless you come up with EPS or TIFF files, it's going to take me a long time and cost you a lot of money.

[CI#1] But it's a WORD File. . . If you can't do it, I'll just do it myself.

[LDC] Good Luck [hangs up phone].

Scene 2: The Print Shop

Having been dismissed by the Layout Design Consultant, Corporate Idiot #1 takes matters into his own hands because "if you want to get something done right, you have to do it yourself."

[CI#1] Hi, I have a file on this CD. I need to get it put on 10,000 postcards.

[PSE] Is it a PDF? We prefer PDF.

[CI#1] It's a WORD file. If you can't do it, I'll take my business somewhere else!

[PSE] Yeah, whatever. Give me the CD. How do you want to pay?

1 day later

[PSE] Here are your prints.

[CI#1] [Looking at prints] How come the colors are so much different than how they look on my screen, why are the edges chopped off, and how come the fonts don't look right? You messed this up! I can't send these out!

[PSE] Sorry sir, but you didn't send us a PDF. We can't guarantee anything other than PDF. It says so here [points to fine print on bill].

[CI#1] I demand a refund! Let me speak to your manager!

[PSE] I am the manager.

fin
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

[PSE] Is it a PDF? We prefer PDF.

[CI#1] It's a WORD file.

It's called PrimoPDF, dude. Google it.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

[CI#1] The graphics are in the Word File.

*shudder*

I don't know how many times I've heard that sentence where I work. I don't know how many times that I've told people that a graphic is basically rendered completely useless once placed in a Word file.

*shudder*
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Hey, I'm not the one stupid enough to go live with a Word file. But it all worked out pretty well for me: over the course of two years I managed to get everything into InDesign, and more recently I somehow managed to get the two guys in sales & marketing to learn it.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    You should not judge an apps worthiness based on people sending you poorly thought out, poorly created documents. Just because they're attaching graphics to Word files, showing their lack of any type of taste in the process, doesn't mean that Word itself is worthless. In fact, it's the best word processing app out there.

And I say this as a card-carrying anti-MS zealot.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    bottom line is Word is the best out.

even though its goddamn cluttered there is no match to it at this point.

neither appleworks or pages comes close.

keynote def is better than powerpoint.

excel is also the best spreadsheet.

maybe if apple took more time on it they could create a better word processor and spreadsheet.

however as it stands.... word and excel are the best on the market.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Just to throw out an idea-- you're probably aalready aware that not all programs are Intel Mac native yet. Expect more third party programs to become more responsive as they manage their transition to become universal programs.

Congrats on the MBP. Fantastic first Mac, that's for sure.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

bottom line is Word is the best out.

I strongly disagree. What about it do you like, and why do you think Pages is inferior? All of the core features in Word, and 80% of the extra features were available in ClarisWorks 10 years ago, and are still available today in Pages. The remaining 20% aren't of great enough importance, in my opinion, to counteract Word's abysmal search & replace functionality, its generally slow running speed, its tendency to corrupt files, and its demonically unpredictable item selection.

The ONLY thing that Word really had going for it is that it can easily import excel data via drag and drop. Yes, this is of importance because Excel is a decent program which everyone uses, but don't delude yourself that Word has any unique value outside from its compatibility with other, monopolized MS products.

With that said, my favorite program for producing text documents is Lyx. I think it's a good example of a program that's designed well to create text documents, and not flirt dangerously in the realm of low-end DTP. With that said, tex files can also be published with ease.