hello, about to switch would like feedback.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi, I need some purchasing advice. I am on the verge of making the switch to apple/macs. Simply put I'm fed up with windows, dont get me wrong I'm a very literate pc user but I've noticed that apple & it's OS seems to fit my minimalist personality. I've noticed that on win xp pro I spend more time tweaking things to work the way I want them to work than actually creating/doing things. (I'm into graphics/ 3d modeling etc.) I am thinking of purchasing the latest mac book pro but grimmace at the thought of having to pay back with interest. (I have about a grand ready for use towards a laptop.) I could buy a Ibook G4 flat out no payback now but the specs dont seem at all satisfactory to for content creation. But on the other hand purchasing the I book pro means I would still need to pay off a grand possibly grand and a half after my purchase. Also I hear a new OS is going to be coming out soon, Leopard? Will this OS work on Mac Book Pro as well as the IBook G4? Looking for some constructive feedback, /advice tips etc. In advance- Thanks for your time. :-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I have an iBook G4 with a 933Mhz processor that runs Tiger fine. I rip DVDs, edit video, web development, etc.

I am sure that one of the new iBooks Apple sells will be more than adequate to run Leopard.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mr skillsmr skills Posts: 144member
    Leopard will be a software upgrade and will work just fine.

The iBook G4 may be underpowered for stuff like 3D modelling. It will soon be replaced with an intel model. This is likely to be much, much faster running software that has been updated for the Intel chips (although, for the time being, some older software will actually be slower). So if you go for the cheaper option, wait for the Intel version to come out to be really future-proof.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I have 4 friends waiting for the intelization of the ibook right now, so Apple better hurry.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Out of topic, but what do you model/render in?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I would get the MacBookPro, instead of the iBook G4.

This is based off of my experience w/my Intel iMac. The machine is very fast, and able to handle Adobe, Macromedia, etc very well...even under Rosetta.

I also do 3D, and just downloaded the Universal version of Modo. This app is great, and I can't wait to see where Luxoligy will take it. I was really impressed with the performance of a native 3D app on Intel.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    awesome, because I've just started using modo, looks absolutely badass. Thanks for the response guys much appreciated :-)

Liveatlantis, I started out with 3dsmax in highschool as a hobby, and then I went to the Art Institute of Portland (OR), and they only taught Maya so, I hopped on the bandwagon. I've since dropped out of that college though, it's a long story. But essentially I just needed to sort some things out like my alcoholicism/drug use and study skills. I have dealt with that (I've been sober for a year from all substances) and I'm just now getting back into creating art and whatnot. I've kind of fallen in love with 2d though, I like the aesthetics/style and well simply put the bang for your time. Corel Painter/Adobe Photoshop is my fav apps, just doodle, or do character design, or my favorite, concept enviroments. I have fiddled around in Luxology Modo though, and it looks pretty sick. It's like the best of both Maya & 3ds max and even better than both combined. That is my program of choice nowdays for 3d modeling , and eventually renderer I'm sure by the looks of it heh.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Also, modo 201 should be incredible when it comes out. It's the modeling ease of modo plus texturing and rendering tools that look absolutely sweet.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Wow modo 201 looks great!

Maybe the Lightwave team do have something to worry about once it's able to render (it's not yet released yet, right?).

I'm new to creating 3D content, but I tried Wings3D and Silo demos. Loved them; only, never got into them.

Best wishes for your purchase, adamlogan.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Indeed Placebo

Yeah I'd say liveatlantis, I think the other 3d modeling programs are quaking in their boots . Modo 201 is not yet out, but modo 103 is (it's modeling/texturing/UV mapping only atm) but 201 will be out before too long. You can try it out 30 day trial with the full bonifide program (with no watermark either on the view panes like maya does) with tons of tutorials/help files to help you get started. I'd recomend you try it before deciding 3d is not for you ;-) It's pretty intuitive & very user friendly oriented. Thanks, I think I'll probably end up going for the mac book pro. Just a matter of choosing the specs I want and how much I want to end up owing.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    The MacBook Pro looks like a great machine, but if you're worried about money and don't need the portability the new Intel iMacs will give you the same (or better) power for a lot less. I'd get the MacBook if I could afford it though!!! :-(

Quote:

Originally posted by adamlogan

Indeed Placebo

Yeah I'd say liveatlantis, I think the other 3d modeling programs are quaking in their boots . Modo 201 is not yet out, but modo 103 is (it's modeling/texturing/UV mapping only atm) but 201 will be out before too long. You can try it out 30 day trial with the full bonifide program (with no watermark either on the view panes like maya does) with tons of tutorials/help files to help you get started. I'd recomend you try it before deciding 3d is not for you ;-) It's pretty intuitive & very user friendly oriented. Thanks, I think I'll probably end up going for the mac book pro. Just a matter of choosing the specs I want and how much I want to end up owing.

• Reply 11 of 11
    Actually I'm being very specific about purchasing a laptop. I already have a big ass rig and 21" nec monitor that I dont care to lug around. The main reason I'm looking at laptops is I want to do plein air digital paintings,. Or even plein air 3d modeling ha that'd be awesome. I wonder if anyone does that? o_O.