What to do with a broken TFT monitor?

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A colleague's Dell TFT monitor 1701fp fried.. literally. Made a weird noise, zzzzap, and smoke came out the back and died.

While the logic board is dead, the screen is fine..

And it just seems a waste to throw it out..

Any suggestions on simple hacks that can be done with one of these old things?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ./trash

• Reply 2 of 6
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    At least old CRTs could be made into fish tanks.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    I would put a piece of white paper in there and use it as a mini white-board. Maybe you could fill it with sand and make one of those stress relief things.

They are quite expensive though so it is a shame to waste. Did you enquire about the price of a new logic board?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Or you could take out the high voltage, high frequency supply and make an electrostatic gravity engine out of it. (seriously)

A lady at the office had her Dell 20" TFT go on her after 1 year. I opened it up to see if I could find anything wrong, but I couldn't. For the record: It was actually just a rebadged BenQ display.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

maybe I could make a really thin fish tank out of it.. like with those flat, plastic fish...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    squidthingsquidthing Posts: 124member
    www.freecycle.org

Someone will have it - either to fix or probably use in a work of art or as a prop.

Or maybe you could sell / donate it to IKEA for a display. (I'm only about 25% joking).

Andrew